Equation of a Circle with Three Points: Guide and Explanation

• Thread starter abia ubong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the equation of a circle given three points. The group agrees that this can be done by constructing a linear set of equations and solving for the radius. They also mention that three non-colinear points will always uniquely specify a circle. The process involves finding a point that is equidistant from all three points, which is the center of the circle. The proof is also discussed, stating that three non-colinear points determine a unique triangle and every non-degenerate triangle has a circumscribed circle.
abia ubong
hi,
my friend once asked me if i could find the equation of a circle,when given three points,i mean (x,y) (x2,y2) (x3,y3).please let me know if it is possible.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you can. All pairs (xi,yi) should fullfill xi^2+yi^2=r^2 where r is the radius. You should be able to construct a linear set of equations and solve for r.

Yes it is possible. Three points will always uniquely specify a circle providing that they are not co-linear.

It definitely is possible. What you're doing is finding a point that is equidistant from all three points and that will give you the centre of the circle. Then the radius is just the distance from the centre to any point. If you ever watch cop shows and they are talking about triangulating a radio signal from 3 points this is what they are referring to (sort of).

So how do you do it? It's actually really easy when you think of it this way. If you take two random points and graph the points that are equidistant from both you get a line. Specifically a line that intersects the line segment between the two points at 90 degrees at the half way point. Just pick two pairs of points (one point will be in both pairs). Draw the equidistant lines for both pairs. The intersection point is the point of equidistance from all 3. Hence it is the centre of the circle.

thanks a lot

Proof:3 noncolinear points determine a nondegenerate triangle uniquely.Any nondegerate triangle has a circumscribed circle.EndProof.

Daniel.

1. What happens if I ignore this message?

If you ignore this message, you may miss important information or instructions that could have an impact on your life or the lives of others. It is important to pay attention to all messages, especially if they are marked as urgent or important.

2. Why should I not ignore this message?

This message is likely important or urgent for a reason. Ignoring it could lead to negative consequences or missed opportunities. It is always better to err on the side of caution and pay attention to all messages, even if they seem unimportant at first glance.

3. Who is sending this message and why should I trust them?

The sender of this message may vary, but it is important to evaluate the source and the content of the message before deciding whether or not to trust it. If the message is from a reputable source and contains important information, it is likely trustworthy and should not be ignored.

4. Is there a specific action I need to take?

The message may contain instructions for a specific action that you need to take. It is important to read the message carefully and follow any instructions given. Ignoring the message could lead to missed deadlines or opportunities.

5. Can I verify the information in this message?

If you have any doubts about the information in the message, you can always verify it with a trusted source or do some research on your own. It is important to make sure the information is accurate before taking any action or making any decisions based on it.