Explain Inertia: Science & Process

In summary, inertia is a fundamental property of all masses that will cause them to continue in their previous state of unaccelerated motion unless acted on by an unbalanced force. More massive objects will have more momentum and this can lead to confusion because it is more difficult to stop or alter the path of a massive object than a less massive object.
shes_got_issues
Ok, possibly a stupid question. BUT could someone please explain the process of intertia to me, preferably how it is applied into todays science. i have looked on the net, but its only making things worse:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertia is not a process, but rather a fundamental property of all masses, being that they will continue in their previous state of unaccelerated motion, unless acted on by an unbalanced force.

Many badly written sites and textbooks ask the student multiple choice questions : "Which Object has more inertia : a), b) c) or d)."

That is a horrible mistake, Inertia is a property, not quantifiable. It is like giving two squares with different length sides. Which square's sides are more equal? Rubbish. They are really getting Inertia confused with the related but different concept of momentum, which is another topic.

Inertia

I agree tat inertia is not a quantity. but mass and shape of an defenitely plays a role in inertia.
Inertia is proportional to the objects mass. As the mass of the object increase, its inertia also increases. tats y u find it difficult to stop a moving object which is of more weight rather than a object of lesser weight.

sekar507 said:
I agree tat inertia is not a quantity. but mass and shape of an defenitely plays a role in inertia.
Inertia is proportional to the objects mass. As the mass of the object increase, its inertia also increases. tats y u find it difficult to stop a moving object which is of more weight rather than a object of lesser weight.

Inertia is simply a fundamental principle/concept used in classical physics to describe why an object will remain in a straight line path unless acted upon by an external force. It's the term used to define this behavior.

Just like Gib Z said, it's not quantifiable, but rather a property of an object.

So, an object will not have "more" inertia than some other, they all just have inertia (i.e. the desire to stay in a straight line path).

More massive objects will have more momentum (all things else being equal), which is what leads to this confusion some times. That is to say that most people relate momentum to inertia because it's more difficult to stop or alter the path of a massive object (due to its momentum) than a less massive object. Hence, it appears to them that the object has more inertia but really has more momentum.

Here's some further reading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

Inertia

ya i agree with u but as per ur reply u mean to say that we find it difficult to stop a moving object bcos of its momentum as the value of momentum is the product of the object's mass and its velocity. But if u consider the other case where the object is in rest, u need to apply more initial force in order to move the object. Its bcos of the objects inertia... In this case the momentum of the object is zero... as the velocity is zero. Hope u agree with this concept. if u have any other points abt this issue please do post it.

firstly thanks for all your replies!

i know what you mean about there being many ideas of how to define this. conflicting text/books etc.

this has scratched at the surface anyway, an i shall look more into wikipedia. i did consider taht the first point of call, but though i'd drop in here first :)

What is inertia?

Inertia is a physical property of matter that causes objects to resist changes in their state of motion. It can be thought of as a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration.

What causes inertia?

Inertia is caused by an object's mass, which is the amount of matter it contains. The more mass an object has, the more inertia it has and the harder it is to change its state of motion.

How is inertia measured?

Inertia is measured in terms of an object's mass. The more mass an object has, the more inertia it has, and the harder it is to change its state of motion. The standard unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI) is the kilogram (kg).

How does inertia relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that inertia is what keeps objects in their state of motion unless an external force is applied.

How does inertia affect different objects?

Inertia affects all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, objects with more mass have more inertia and are harder to move or stop compared to objects with less mass. This is why it takes more force to move a heavy object compared to a lighter one.