How to Solve Calculus Problems with Recurrence: A Step-by-Step Explanation

In summary: We can prove this using induction by assuming the statement is true for some n, and then showing it must also be true for n+1. In summary, the statement asserts that every positive natural number can be written as 2^p(2q+1), where p and q are non-negative integers.
avata4
Homework Statement
∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)
Relevant Equations
∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)
i think solution with récurrence

for n=1 then 1=2¨¨^0(2x0 +1) true
suppose that n=2¨^p(2q+1) is true shows that n+1=2^p( 2q +1)?
n+1=2¨^p(2q+1) +1 ⇒ ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
avata4 said:
Homework Statement:: ∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)
Relevant Equations:: ∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)

n+1=2¨^p(2q+1) +1 ⇒ ??
You could use an induction of the length of the decomposition into primes, or what is also common when it comes to natural numbers, assume a smallest number ##n_0## for which it is not the case and deduce a contradiction.

You might want to consider the ##n## even and odd cases separately.

avata4 said:
Homework Statement:: ∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)
Relevant Equations:: ∀n ℕ-{0}, ∃ (p,q) ℕ², n=2^p(2q+1)

n+1=2¨^p(2q+1) +1 ⇒ ??

The statement is asserting that every strictly positive natural number is a power of two times an odd number.

This follows from the unique decomposition of [itex]n[/itex] as a product of powers of primes.

1. How do I identify a recurrence relation in a calculus problem?

The first step in solving a calculus problem with recurrence is to identify the pattern or sequence in the problem. This can be done by looking at the given function and its derivatives. If the function or its derivatives involve a variable raised to a power, a factorial, or a summation, it is likely a recurrence relation.

2. What is the difference between a recurrence relation and a differential equation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers, while a differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. Recurrence relations are typically used to solve discrete problems, while differential equations are used to solve continuous problems.

3. How do I solve a recurrence relation using the characteristic equation method?

The characteristic equation method involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation, which is formed by setting the recurrence relation equal to zero and solving for the variable. Once the roots are found, they can be used to form a general solution, which can then be used to find the specific solution for the given initial conditions.

4. Can I use calculus to solve recurrence relations without using the characteristic equation method?

Yes, there are other methods for solving recurrence relations such as the substitution method, the generating function method, and the iteration method. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of recurrence relations and may also provide different insights into the problem.

5. How do I know if my solution to a recurrence relation is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution, you can substitute the values of the initial conditions into your general solution and see if they match the given values. You can also check if your solution satisfies the recurrence relation for all values of the variable. Additionally, you can use mathematical software or online calculators to verify your solution.