1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain this step

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    It has been a long time since i did multivariable calculus, i can't figure out how they get from the first line to the second (ignore the physics). Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a little hard to distinguish between [itex]\nabla[/itex] and V!!
    What you are asking is how they went from
    [tex]\int\int\int (\nabla\cdot E)V d\tau[/tex]
    [tex]\int\int\int E\cdot\nabla V d\tau+ \int\int V (E\cdot dA)[/tex]
    (some people prefer [itex]E\cdot n dA[/itex] rather than [itex]E\cdot dA[/itex] where "n" is the unit normal to the surface.) V here is the scalar potential and E is a vector function.

There are actually two steps in there. First they are using the "product" rule:
    [tex]\nabla\cdot(VE)= V\nabla\cdot E+ (\nabla V)\cdot E[/itex]
    where [itex]\nabla\cdot E[/itex] and [itex]\nabla\cdot (VE)[/itex] are the divergence (div) of the vectors and [itex]\nabla V[/itex] is grad V.

[tex]\int\int\int\nabla\cdot(VE)d\tau= \int\int\int V\nabla\cdot Ed\tau +\int\int\int(\nabla V)\cdot E d\tau[/itex]

Now use the divergence theorem to convert that first integral on the right to
    [tex]\int\int VE\cdot dA[/itex]

But I'm not at all clear why the [itex]\epsilon_0/2[/itex] only multiplies the first integral!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?