1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Explain this?

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    Please Explain this?!?!?!

hey, ok so i was going tthrough my text book and following some examples hwne i cam up to this:

Force of Thrust = Ft/ delta T

= 6N / 3.48s

=1.7 N

but it doesnt say what the equation means. can someone plz help me and explain what is happeing.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2
    Re: Please Explain this?!?!?!

A little more information regarding the problem would be helpful. However, how can one divide Newtons by time and wind up with Newtons?

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3

Have you covered momentum yet? I don't remember how to calculate force of thrust without using momentum, so I hope this is helpful to you.

The equation for Force of Thrust I know, is
    F(thrust) = ((m * V)2 - (m * V)1) / (t2 - t1)

This can also be written as
    F(thrust) = Δp / Δt
    Force of thrust = change in momentum / change in time

Which would give you
    N = N*s/s
    meaning your seconds would cancel to give the correct units.

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4

the doth prevous questins are pretty good. But i dont understand why did u posted a quastion that is already answered.. If you dont understand it just read the 3-4 prevous pages of your book! That is not so difficult (sorry about my english and wrong words sometimes,,, ist because im writing from my mobile)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook