1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please explain use of Heine in proof of simple theorem

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I don't fully understand the proof of uniqueness of limit of function. Our teacher proved it using the Heine's theorem. Here it is:

Proof:
    Let [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = A[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = B[/itex].

Let [itex]\left{ x_{n} \right}[/itex] satisfies: [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = a[/itex]. Then

[tex]
    \Longrightarrow^{Heine}
    \begin{array}{cc}\lim f\left( x_{n} \right) = A\\\lim f\left( x_{n} \right) = B\end{array}\right
    [/tex]

Ok, I understand this, because according to Heine it's equivalent. But I don't get the next step:

[tex]
    \Longrightarrow^{\mbox{Uniqueness of limit of sequence}} A = B \Longrightarrow^{Heine 2} \mbox{Uniqueness of limit of function}
    [/tex]

How can I use the uniqueness of limit of sequence here, when [itex]f\left( x_{n} \right)[/itex] is not a sequence, but a function?

Thank you for the explanation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If lim(x->a) f(x)= A, then f(xn) MUST also converge to A for any sequence xn converging to a. If f converged to both A and B, then the sequence f(xn) must converge to both A and B which, apparently, you have already proved is impossible.

Actually the proof of the uniqueness the limit of a sequence can be modified to give directly a proof of the uniqueness of the limit of a function.

If f converges to both A and B, take ε to be half the distance from A to B. Then show that x can't be within &epsilon of both A and B.

4. Jan 27, 2005 #3
    Well, that's what I don't understand. I think that [itex]f\left(x_{n}\right)[/itex] is function, not sequence. Sequence goes only over integers, whereas [itex]f\left(x_{n}\right)[/itex] doesn't...That's why I can't use the uniqueness of limit of sequence directly here I think...Of course there are other ways how to prove the uniqueness of limit of function, I just want to understand this one.

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why can't you construct the sequence:
    [tex]a_{n}=f(x_{n})[/tex]??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?