Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please give me some advise about DEC (dominant energy conditions)

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1
    DEC is related to superluminal acoustic modes. I can not understand. Help me.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2005 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

A violation of the DEC implies an equation of state [tex]\inline{ p/c^2 < - \rho}[/tex]. You can prove this as follows. Consider first the energy-momentum tensor for a perfect fluid with equation of state [tex]\inline{ \omega p/c^2 = \rho}[/tex]. Take a timelike vector [tex]\inline{ A^{\mu}}[/tex] and calculate [tex]\inline{ T^{\nu}_{\mu} A^{\mu}}[/tex]. The DEC implies that this result must be timelike, but you will see that for w < -1 the DEC must not be satisfied for some [tex]\inline{A^{\mu}}[/tex].

You can interpret this thinking of a timelike four-velocity [tex]\inline {U^{\mu}}[/tex], which leads to a spacelike energy flow [tex]\inline {T^{\nu}_{\mu} U^{\mu}}[/tex]. Or, also, with this equation of state you can rearrange to [tex]\inline {dp/d\rho > c^2}[/tex], which is the (squared) speed of sound of a sound wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?