Suggestions to Learn Math Beyond Engineering Mathematics

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the conversation revolves around the frustration of self-teaching mathematics and the struggle to understand advanced books on topics like real analysis and number theory. The person is seeking recommendations for intermediary books that can bridge the gap between engineering mathematics and more difficult writing styles. Two suggestions are "Understanding analysis" by Abbott and "Calculus" by Spivak.
medwatt
Hello
I have to say I am a mathematics fanatic but my frustration stems from the fact that I teach myself mathematics meaning that I am basically lost what to do when I am impeded by an obstacle.
To cut a long story short, I have knowledge in calculus, complex analysis, linear algebra etc and most of the knowledge I have acquired is from books like Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Stroud and schums etc. I had decided lately to start some real analysis. Though the initial pages of the real analysis books were fine but after like 50 pages things got very rough. To put my points straight I am unused to the abbreviated languages used in these books such as leaving hanging sentences and a lot of mathematical notations which I'm not used to. I have also looked at other books and also in number theory but really the result is pretty much the same.
What I want is a suggestion of intermediary books which can take someone from books like Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Engineering Mathematics to books difficult writing styles. What I really want is books which can make me understand the notations and stuffs in Analysis books and other higher mathematics books. Books that are really meant for self study which are very lucid and with detailed explanations.

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
For analysis, you should try "Understanding analysis" by Abbott. Very nice book.

Another suggestion is to read "calculus" by Spivak. This book is very rigorous (and almost a real analysis book), but with topics you already know something about (and other topics which are likely new).

1. Can studying math beyond engineering mathematics benefit my career as a scientist?

Yes, studying math beyond engineering mathematics can definitely benefit your career as a scientist. Many scientific fields rely heavily on complex mathematical concepts and having a strong foundation in math can greatly enhance your understanding and ability to conduct research and analyze data.

2. What are some specific areas of math that I should focus on to expand my knowledge beyond engineering mathematics?

Some specific areas of math that can be beneficial for scientists include statistics, calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These subjects can help you understand and analyze data, model real-world phenomena, and solve complex problems.

3. How can I incorporate learning math into my busy schedule as a scientist?

There are many ways to incorporate learning math into your busy schedule. You can set aside a specific time each day or week to study, utilize online resources and tutorials, attend workshops or seminars, or even join a study group with other scientists or mathematicians.

4. Are there any resources or tools specifically designed for scientists to learn math beyond engineering mathematics?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available for scientists to learn math beyond engineering mathematics. Some options include online courses, textbooks, interactive simulation tools, and software programs. It may be helpful to consult with other scientists or mathematicians to find the best resources for your specific field of study.

5. How can I apply the math I learn beyond engineering mathematics to my research as a scientist?

The math you learn beyond engineering mathematics can be applied to various aspects of your research as a scientist. For example, statistics can help you analyze and interpret data, while calculus can be used to model and predict real-world phenomena. Additionally, the problem-solving skills and critical thinking developed through studying math can be applied to research in any field.