1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please guide a noob

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    hello every one,i m an engineering students..these days,after reading about Mr.Heisenberg,i m really intrusted in quantum mechanics and its physics..i want to start from very basics..can anyone please guide me..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It seems to me that you've just read some pop-sci book on quantum physics and that this interested you. You have to realize that actual physics is very different than pop-sci books. It requires a lot of work and a lot of people think it is boring. If you start learning physics, then you must realize that it is very plausible that you will just stop after a while because it is too boring or because it requires too much work. Although, maybe you will actually like the mathematics and the physics, who knows??

I'm sure many people here are willing to guide you. But first you'll need to tell us what knowledge you have of mathematics and physics?? Which formal physics classes did you take in HS or university? What kind of mathematics do you know?

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    well..how should i put it..i m in final year of mechanical engineering..i have studied subjects like ordinary differential equations, advance calculus and linear algebra,advance mathematical techniques etc..and one knows that engineering without knowledge of physics is impossible..

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4
    Quantum physics *is* very interesting, but it is also very hard. You can go very far in mechanical engineering just knowing classical physics.

Even in my field, integrated circuits, classical physics is that I mostly use. For the quantum stuff, you generally just learn the results.

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    When I was in school we used Foundations of Modern Physics by Paul Tipler, and I found it very enjoyable introduction to quantum mech. I don't know if it is still in print or what others think of it. But if you want to start at the beginning I think you need a book like that one.

7. Mar 28, 2013 #6
    thanks gmax..

8. Mar 28, 2013 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook