1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help! A question about partial differentiation

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    hi all!
    I know how to solve the part (i) but not part (ii).
    Could anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that in vector notation, we have, from (i):
    [tex]\nabla{u}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\vec{i}+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}\vec{j}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}\vec{i}_{r}+\frac{\partial{u}}{r\partial\theta}\vec{i}_{\theta}[/tex]
    when the polar unit vectors are:
    [tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j},\vec{i}_{\theta}=\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\vec{i}_{r}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]
    Thus, the gradient operator has the form, in polar coordinates:
    [tex]\nabla=\vec{i}_{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}+\vec{i}_{\theta}\frac{\partial}{r\partial\theta}[/tex]
    In agreement thus far?

4. May 12, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Leave vectors alone and simply differentiate

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\cos\theta\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}-\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\cos\theta\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}-\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right)-\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(\cos\theta\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}-\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) [/tex]

and the same way for "y"...

Daniel.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  5. May 12, 2005 #4
    Oh! Thank you very much for your reply!
    But I just manage to get the correct answer!
    Thank you anayway! ^^

6. May 12, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So that's the laplacian in polar plane coordinates.BTW,it's customarily to denote these coordinates by [itex] \left(\rho,\theta\right) [/itex] and physicists prefer [itex] \left(\rho,\phi\right) [/itex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?