Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help about sketching graphs

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    I want to ask you an exam question about sketching graph of a function, please help me;

I want you to look at question 2 from the following link especially 2 d)(about asymptotes)

question

and the solutions given by the department are here;

solutions

what i did not understand is that; i think y=0 line must be another horizontal asymptote .Am ı wrong???

thank you for your helps...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand WHY you think that y=0 "must be another horizontal asymptotote".

In order for y= k to be a horizontal asymptote for any function, the graph must approach that line as x goes to either +infinity or -infinity. In this case, the derivative, to the right of x= 1 IS the constant -4 so the graph is the line y= -4.
    There is no reason to think that the derivative approaches any constant, much less 0, as x goes to -infinity.

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3
    I looked at the description of horizontal asymptote , so you're right the derivative does not approach any constant but as x goes to - infinity the derivative is always less than zero and always increasing , I thought that could be counted as asymptote.

I have description of horizontal asymptote:

"the graph of f(x) has a horizontal asymptote y=L if
    lim x-->infinity f(x)=L" is this true?

and in the question "lim x--> - infinity f(x)=0" is this wrong?

must the graph reach a constant as you said , to be a hor. asy.?

thank you for your help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?