Master Motion Problems: Time, Velocity, and Trajectory | Expert Help ASAP!

• Thread starter debbie18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses two motion problems. The first problem involves finding the time of motion, initial velocity, and x and y components of velocity for a ball thrown horizontally from a building. The second problem involves finding the speed of a projectile at the top of its trajectory and at a 33-degree angle from the horizontal. The conversation also includes a hint to separate the problem into vertical and horizontal components and to use knowledge of 1D and projectile motion.
debbie18
Please help asap!- Motion problems

I am stuck on these questions, please can some one help asap!

1. A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of a building 32.5 m high. The ball strikes the ground at a point 96.9 m from the base of the building. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the time the ball is in motion. Find the initial velocity of the ball. Find the x and y components of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.

2. A projectile is fired straight upward at 135 m/s. How fast is it moving at the instant it reaches the top of its trajectory? How fast is it moving at the instant it reaches the top of its trajectory if the particle is fired upward at 33 degrees from the horizontal?

Physics news on Phys.org
what have you done?

I have no idea what to do in the 1st question because nothing is given except the distance. Can u just tell me what formulas to use? Just a little hint would be helpful.

Srry couldn't help you yesturday I had to leave, :mad: . But just separate it into vertical and horizontal components I think youll be able to do it.

1) At the top of the building, what's the only component of velocity?

2) For the first part, it seems like a 90 degrees angle with the horizontal, so consider what you learned in 1D motion, Use what you know of projectile motion.

1. What are motion problems?

Motion problems are mathematical problems that involve the concepts of distance, time, and speed. They are often used in physics and engineering to calculate the movement of objects or systems.

2. How do you solve motion problems?

To solve motion problems, you need to first identify the given values, such as distance, time, and speed. Then, you can use the formula d = st (distance = speed x time) to calculate the missing value. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the specific type of motion problem.

3. What are some common types of motion problems?

Some common types of motion problems include uniform motion, accelerated motion, and relative motion. Uniform motion problems involve constant speed, while accelerated motion problems involve changing speed. Relative motion problems deal with the movement of two or more objects in relation to each other.

4. What are some tips for solving motion problems?

One tip for solving motion problems is to draw a diagram or graph to visualize the problem. This can help you understand the relationships between the given values and the unknown value. Another tip is to double check your units to ensure they are consistent throughout the problem and match the units of the answer.

5. Where can I find more practice problems for motion problems?

There are many online resources and textbooks that offer practice problems for motion problems. You can also ask your teacher or tutor for additional practice problems. It is important to practice solving different types of motion problems to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.