1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help asap Orbital speed

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Please help asap!! Orbital speed

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A satellite is placed in orbit 5.19x105m above the surface of Jupiter. Jupiter has a mass of 1.90x1027kg and a radius of 7.14x107m. Find the orbital speed of the satellite.
    Answer = m/s

2. Relevant equations

v = sqrt [GM/r]
    = (5.19 * 10^5)(1.90*10^27)/ (7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5) = 3.703 *10^12 is wrong!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Re: Please help asap!! Orbital speed

Use G = 6.67 x 10^-11.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3

ahhh i still didn't get the right answer..? maybe Im just doing my arithmatic wrong. but why would gravity = 6.67?

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

G in the equation is the universal gravitational constant which has the value given by Delphi.For some reason you seem to have used the height of the orbit instead of G.

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5

well i assumed since we don't know the gravity of that planet the length of the orbit would be equal to the G. However, I am still not able to get the right answer using either method...

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6

I should say the length of the distance from the satellite to the planet... not the length of orbit...

8. Oct 5, 2009 #7

G is the universal gravitational constant,it applies to all planets,all masses,everything,it is completely different to distance.My best advice is to look at the theory behind this otherwise you are just fiddling around. To get the right answer you just need to plug the right numbers in your calculator.In your original attempt you had the wrong value for G so try again.

9. Oct 5, 2009 #8

yea i tried it again. still no success. I think i give up now.

10. Oct 5, 2009 #9

Did you calculate the right value for r?
    7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5=7.19*10^7(approximately)
    Did you take the square root at the end?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook