Calculating Orbital Speed of a Satellite Orbiting Jupiter | Step-by-Step Guide"

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the orbital speed of a satellite orbiting Jupiter. The formula v = sqrt [GM/r] is used, with G being the universal gravitational constant. The correct value for G is 6.67 x 10^-11, and the correct value for r is 7.19 * 10^7. After these values are plugged in, the correct orbital speed can be calculated.
agadag
Please help asap! Orbital speed

Homework Statement

A satellite is placed in orbit 5.19x105m above the surface of Jupiter. Jupiter has a mass of 1.90x1027kg and a radius of 7.14x107m. Find the orbital speed of the satellite.
Answer = m/s

Homework Equations

v = sqrt [GM/r]
= (5.19 * 10^5)(1.90*10^27)/ (7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5) = 3.703 *10^12 is wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org

Use G = 6.67 x 10^-11.

ahhh i still didn't get the right answer..? maybe I am just doing my arithmatic wrong. but why would gravity = 6.67?

G in the equation is the universal gravitational constant which has the value given by Delphi.For some reason you seem to have used the height of the orbit instead of G.

well i assumed since we don't know the gravity of that planet the length of the orbit would be equal to the G. However, I am still not able to get the right answer using either method...

I should say the length of the distance from the satellite to the planet... not the length of orbit...

G is the universal gravitational constant,it applies to all planets,all masses,everything,it is completely different to distance.My best advice is to look at the theory behind this otherwise you are just fiddling around. To get the right answer you just need to plug the right numbers in your calculator.In your original attempt you had the wrong value for G so try again.

yea i tried it again. still no success. I think i give up now.

agadag said:
yea i tried it again. still no success. I think i give up now.

Did you calculate the right value for r?
7.14*10^7+5.19*10^5=7.19*10^7(approximately)
Did you take the square root at the end?

What is orbital speed?

Orbital speed refers to the velocity at which an object in orbit travels around another object. It is affected by the mass and distance between the two objects.

How is orbital speed calculated?

The formula for calculating orbital speed is v = √(G(M+m)/r), where v is orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the average orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun?

The average orbital speed of the Earth around the Sun is approximately 107,000 kilometers per hour or 67,000 miles per hour.

How does orbital speed affect an object in orbit?

The orbital speed of an object determines the shape and stability of its orbit. A higher orbital speed will result in a larger orbit, while a lower orbital speed will cause the object to orbit closer to the larger object.

Can orbital speed change?

Yes, orbital speed can change due to factors such as changes in mass or distance between objects, as well as external forces like gravity. This can result in changes to the orbit's shape, size, or stability.