1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help - average velocity question

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In reaching her destination, a backpacker walks with an average velocity of 1.34 m/s, due west. This average velocity results because she hikes for 6.44 km with an average velocity of 2.68m/s, due west, turns around, and hikes with an average velocity of 0.447 m/s, due east. How far east did she walk?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    v1=2.68m/s west
    d1=6440m west

v2=0.477m/s east

At this point I notice I have two variables? t2? and d2? And I do not where to continue from here.

please help me thanks in advance
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Well having two variable means you need two equations to solve this, right?

Your equation for average velocity turns out to be (- is west, + is east)

-1.34\frac{m}{s} = \frac{displacement}{t_1 + t_2}

Where [tex]t_1, t_2[/tex] are your independent time it takes to travel west/east from given information.

And displacement = [tex]d_1-d_2[/tex]

You've managed to find [tex]t_1[/tex], which is 2388.0 sec. and [tex]d_1[/tex] is given to you. Plug that into the equation above.

You have another equation for the distance travelled east, which is

d_2 = 0.447 * t_2

Now you have two equations and two unknowns! Rest is up to your math.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3

Ahh im going to have to use a system of equations i see..
    thanks a lot..ill post back once i solve it
  5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    Unless if you know Calculus :D There's more of a dynamics-approach of solving this.
  6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

awesome thanks so much i got the answer - this place will probably be another home for me during this physics semester :) haha thanks again man
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?