1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help, beams

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    I wouldn't normally be asking this but I'm completely lost. I'm not looking for the answers but can someone explain some of these to me? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm pulling my hair right now.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"give a qualitative definition or explanation" - that is bad :/

(1) looks wrong, unless y is used for the distance to the coordinate center (that would be weird).

(2) is easy: Just check the equation. What happens to stress (S) if you increase/decrease I?

(3) depends on some experiments?

(5) can be done with the formula of (1).

4. Feb 4, 2013 #3
    Thank you. But this class if actually algebra based so I'm not sure how to use that formula. I think it has something to do with the mass. I'm actually almost done. I think that I understand it a little but I'm stuck on question 4 now.

5. Feb 4, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eq. 1 is a standard representation for the moment of inertia of an area.

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5
    For question 4, did you plot the experimental data as a graph?

7. Feb 7, 2013 #6
    Oh no, they were so way off that I could barely do anything with them. I was supposed to getting numbers in the 10 millions, but most of my results(due to wrong marking) were in the 1000s. So that's not too good.

8. Feb 8, 2013 #7
    That doesn't stop you from answering qu 4, which asks for a qualitative definition or description.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook