Please help:Calc II-Integration

• Thread starter The1BigJones
  • Start date
Then you can substitute back in x=\ln{t} and don't forget the +C.In summary, There are two problems. The first problem involves finding the indefinite integral of \intCsc2(eCot(X))DX. The second problem involves finding the indefinite integral of \int \frac{5}{3e^x -2}. For the first problem, the attempt at a solution involves using the substitution U=eCot(X) and solving for DU in terms of Cot(X) and using the Pythagorean identity, Csc2(X)=1 + Tan2(X). However, the correct substitution is U=e^{\cot x}, which leads to the correct solution. For the second problem, the hint is
The1BigJones
This is my first posting on the site. I read the directions, I hope I follow all applicable rules. In advance, thank you for your help.

Homework Statement

Find indefinite integral:
Variables (X)
Problem:
[tex]\int[/tex]Csc2(eCot(X))DX

Homework Equations

None:

The Attempt at a Solution

U=eCot(X)
DU=eCot(X) * -Csc2(X)
Pyth Iden Csc2(X)=1 + Tan2(X)
I keep going back to:
[tex]\int[/tex][Csc2(Something)]=-Cot(Something) I just can't figure out the relation.

Homework Statement

Find indef. Int.
Variables: X
[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{5}{3e^x -2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

U=3ex-2
DU=3ex

5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1+3e^x -3e^x}{3e^x -2}[/tex]
5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1+3e^x}{3e^x -2}[/tex] - 5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{DU}{U}[/tex]

Then I can't Integrate the first fraction.

Then tried conjugate:
5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{9e^{2x} -3e^x -2}{9e^{2x} -4}[/tex]

Here the den. is similar to the ArcTrig integrals, however the signs are wrong and there is no sq.rt.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi The1BigJones, welcome to PF!

The1BigJones said:
U=eCot(X)
DU=eCot(X) * -Csc2(X)
Pyth Iden Csc2(X)=1 + Tan2(X)
I keep going back to:
[tex]\int[/tex][Csc2(Something)]=-Cot(Something) I just can't figure out the relation.

There's no need to use any trig identities here. If [itex]u=e^{\cot x}[/itex], then [itex]du=-\csc^2(x) e^{\cot x} dx[/itex] (You left out the [itex]dx[/itex] from your expression)...[itex]du[/itex] looks an awful lot like your integrand to me!:wink:

Homework Statement

Find indef. Int.
Variables: X
[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{5}{3e^x -2}[/tex]

Okay, let's call this integral [itex]I[/itex]

[tex]I\equiv\int\frac{5}{3e^x -2}dx[/tex]

U=3ex-2
DU=3ex

5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1+3e^x -3e^x}{3e^x -2}[/tex]
5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1+3e^x}{3e^x -2}[/tex] - 5[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{DU}{U}[/tex]

Then I can't Integrate the first fraction.

Hint:

[tex]\frac{1+3e^x}{3e^x-2}=\frac{3e^x-2+3}{3e^x-2}=1+\frac{3}{3e^x-2}[/tex]

So now you have,

[tex]\int\frac{5}{3e^x -2}dx=5\int\left(1+\frac{3}{3e^x-2}\right)dx -5\ln|3e^x-2|[/tex]

Break the integral into two pieces, and substitute [itex]I[/itex] in for [itex]\int\frac{5}{3e^x -2}dx[/itex] on both sides of the equation, and then solve for [itex]I[/itex] algebraically.

If you substitute [tex]x=\ln{t}, dx=\frac{dt}{t}[/tex], then you'll end up with [tex]\int \frac{5}{t(3t-2)}\,dt[/tex]. From there you can apply partial fraction decomposition.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a function over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving continuous change.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval. It is also essential in many real-world applications, such as calculating volumes, areas, and determining the total distance traveled by an object.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding the most general antiderivative of a function, while definite integration is the process of finding the exact value of a definite integral, which has specific upper and lower limits. In other words, indefinite integration results in a function, while definite integration results in a number.

4. What are the different methods of integration?

There are many different methods of integration, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and using tables of integrals. Each method is useful for different types of integrals and can help simplify the integration process.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

Practice is the best way to improve your integration skills. Make sure to understand the basic concepts and techniques, and then try solving a variety of integration problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and practice.