Calculating the Height and Speed of a Stationary Satellite | Help Needed

In summary, the satellite would have to orbit at an altitude of approximately 6,400 kilometers above the Earth's surface in order to be stationary with respect to a point on the surface. The speed of the satellite would be approximately 30,000 meters per second. The location of that point would be approximately in the middle of the Earth.
phys1618
Please help! circular motion

Homework Statement

At what height above teh Earth's surface would a satellite have to orbit in order that it be stationary in reference to a point on the earth? b. what would be it's speed? c. How would you describe the general location of that point in relation to the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

Fg= (G)(M1M2)
r2
G=6.67x10-11Nm2/kg2
Fw=Mg
Fc=M v2
r
a=v2
r
Earth mass=6x1024kg
Earth radius=6.4x106m

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone help me and let me know where to start? I know how to find the velocity, but seems like i don't have enough information? is there something I'm missing?? please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

The whole key to this problem is to think what the orbital period would be, if the object is to be "stationary in reference to a point on the earth".

That, plus an equation relating the orbital period to v and r.

thanks for the clue...but is it a day??

thank you thank you redbelly! now i can starting working on the problem!
but one more question if you don't mind...after i get all the answr i get how would i describe the general location of that point in relation to the Earth's surface?
to be more clear, what is that question asking for?? again thank you for your help! greatly appreciates it

The question is asking for the height or altitude of the satellite above the Earth's surface. In other words, the distance from the satellite to the surface directly below it.

Note however that "r" in these equations is distance from the satellite to the center of the Earth.

using period (T) as one day, which is 86400sec. In order to find "r" i used Fg=Fcp, which cancels out the mass of the shuttle:
(6.67x10-11 Nm2/kg2)(6x1024kg/r2) = 4pie2/(86400s)2, after all the math is done i have r=4.23x107,so is this the height from Earth's surface and shuttle , or do i have to add or subtract that number from the Earth's radius??
if r is correct, v=3076.14 m/s
What does this sentence mean?"How would you describe the general location of that point in relation to the Earth's surface?"
would i say like north,south, west, east, or what kind of answer is it asking for?

phys1618 said:
... after all the math is done i have r=4.23x107,so is this the height from Earth's surface and shuttle , or do i have to add or subtract that number from the Earth's radius??

That's the distance from the satellite's orbit to the center of the Earth.

What does this sentence mean?"How would you describe the general location of that point in relation to the Earth's surface?"
would i say like north,south, west, east, or what kind of answer is it asking for?

I'm not sure. Does anybody else have an idea?

Thank you Redbelly98 for answering my questions...I really appreciates your consistent help and patience. Thank you.
At what height above the Earth's surface would a satellite have to orbit in order that it be stationary in reference to a point on the earth?
So i would take r=4.23x10^7m and substract that from Earth radius=6.4x10^6m to get the height aboe the Earth's suface to the satellite right??
sorry for keep bothering

phys1618 said:
So i would take r=4.23x10^7m and substract that from Earth radius=6.4x10^6m to get the height aboe the Earth's suface to the satellite right??

Yes. (Assuming you really mean to subtract rEarth from r)

yes, that's what i meant redbelly...thank you thank you

however, does anyone know What does this sentence mean?"How would you describe the general location of that point in relation to the Earth's surface?"

They might be asking about where such a satellite could be located. For example, it could not be located directly over the North or South pole, even if it's at the correct height. Do you see why?

Maybe they are searching for the term used to describe satellites that are kept stationary above the Earth's surface. There is a special word for this. It is a bit of a strange question if they mean it like that though, but that would be my guess.

thank you thank you for all help!
the answer was the a point above the equator...

Thank you all!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the center of the circle. This type of motion can be found in many natural phenomena such as the orbit of planets around the sun and the rotation of the Earth.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion is different from linear motion in terms of the path followed by the object. In linear motion, the object moves along a straight line, while in circular motion, the object moves along a circular path. Additionally, circular motion involves a change in direction, while linear motion does not.

3. What are some examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the spinning of a top. In everyday life, circular motion can also be observed in the motion of a ceiling fan or the rotation of a bicycle wheel.

4. What factors affect circular motion?

The factors that affect circular motion include the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the motion of the object.

5. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps the object moving in that path. It is necessary in circular motion to counteract the natural tendency of objects to move in a straight line. In circular motion, the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the motion of the object and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path.