How Do You Convert 10 Micrograms per Deciliter to Milligrams per Liter?

• Thread starter claire kt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, to convert from micrograms per decilitre to milligrams per litre, use the factor label method. One easy way to do this is to use "fenceposts" as fractions equal to 1. Simplify the given information to get the conversion of 10 micrograms per decilitre to 1/10 milligrams per litre. "Micro" is equivalent to 10^-6 and "nano" is equivalent to 10^-9. The term AWOL stands for absent without leave.
claire kt
Please can someone explain to me how you convert:
10 micrograms per decilitre
into
miiligrams per litre

I think I had some notes on it somewhere but they have gone awol !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Easiest way for multiple units (something per something) is using "fenceposts", as some teachers call them, which basically look like this...

[tex]\frac{10 micrograms}{1 deciliter} \times \frac{10 deciliters}{1 liter} \times \frac{1000 milligrams}{1000000 micrograms}[/tex]

NOTE: I don't remember exactly what micrograms are...it's either 1 g x 10^6 or 1g x 10^9...I think it's 6, 9 is nano.

But basically what you have there is one giant fraction. The first fraction in the multiplication is your original given information, and all the other fractions within are equal to 1.

So, that fraction simplifies to [tex]\frac {1 milligram}{10 liters}[/tex]

So, 10 micrograms per decilitre = 1/10 milligrams per liter.

Someone may want to just double check on what exactly a microgram is in relationship to a gram...it's been so long since I've had to do that, I can't remember for sure. If I am wrong, that "fencepost" concept should be a pretty easy one to understand and remember for future use.

Last edited:
claire kt said:
Please can someone explain to me how you convert:
10 micrograms per decilitre
into
miiligrams per litre

I think I had some notes on it somewhere but they have gone awol !

Use the Factor Label Method.

What is awol?

Thanks Inspector Gadget.
You are right micro is -3 and nano -9.

NSX AWOL = absent without leave. Half my notes have just completely vanished !

"micro" is 10-6 (one millionth)

Yes, and 10^-3 is milli...

1. What are the common units that need to be converted?

The most common units that need to be converted are length, mass, time, temperature, and volume.

2. How do I convert between units?

To convert between units, you need to identify the conversion factor, which is the number that relates the two units. Then, multiply the value you want to convert by the conversion factor.

3. What is the difference between metric and imperial units?

Metric units are based on the International System of Units (SI) and are used globally. Imperial units are primarily used in the United States and are based on historical measurements.

4. Can I use an online converter to convert units?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can accurately convert units for you. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your conversions to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I convert units without a calculator?

You can use conversion tables or memorize common conversion factors to convert units without a calculator. Additionally, some units have simple conversion ratios, such as 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters, which can be memorized for easy conversions.