Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please Help (damped pendulum)

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    Please Help!!!(damped pendulum)

A physical pendulum consists of an L = 70 cm long, 100 g mass, uniform wooden rod hung from a nail near one end (Fig. 14-38). The motion is damped because of friction in the pivot. The damping force is approximately proportional to d(theta)/dt. The rod is set in oscillation by displacing it 15° from its equilibrium position and releasing it. After 10 seconds, the amplitude of the oscillation has been reduced to 4° . Assume that the angular displacement can be written as

theta= A*e^(-alpha*t)*cos(w'*t).

http://www.webassign.net/gianpse3/14-38alt.gif

(a) Find alpha

(b) Find the approximate period of the motion.

(c) Find how long it takes for the amplitude to be reduced to 1/2 of its original value.

Don't I need b to find alpha, since damping force is proportional to dtheta/dt, or F=b(dtheta/dt)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2004 #2
    The formula shows that the amplitude changes with time

e^(-alpha*t)

The other bits of the formula are the initial amplitude A, and the oscillating part (the cos term)

You know that the amplitude decreases from 15° to 4° in ten seconds, so you have:

e^(-10 alpha) = 4 / 15

4. Nov 26, 2004 #3
    Can someone verify if I have found the period corectly?

formulas:
    alpha=b/(2m), b=2*m*a
    w'=sqrt( k/m - b^2/(4m^2) )
    t=(2*pi)/w'

I found the k/m to be 3/2(g/L), where L is the length of the rod. Then I plugged everything in.

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4
    anyone, please?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook