1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PlEASE HELP: Diffraction by a single slit

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1

Two narrow slits of width a are separated by center-to-center distance d. Suppose that the ratio of d to a is an integer d/a=m.

Show that in the diffraction patterns produced by this arrangement of slits, the mth interference maximum (corresponding to dsin(theta)=m[tex]\lambda[/tex]) is suppressed because of coincidence with a diffraction minimum. Show that this is also true for the 2mth, 3mth, etc., interference maxima.

My attempt dsin(theta)=m[tex]\lambda[/tex] indicates the conditions for interference maxima, where d is the distance between the two slits. We know that diffraction minimum occurs when a*sin(theta)=[tex]\lambda[/tex], where a is the slit width. Divide by both equations and we can determine which interference maximum coincides with the first diffraction minimum: d/a=m

I don't really understand what the question wants. Could someone please help me out? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please read the posting guidelines and use the template provided. We can not help you unless you first show some effort yourself.

4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    My bad. It's just that this question pisses me off.

5. Jul 23, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, you've almost answered the first part of the question, but you've gone about it backwards.

Let [itex]d\cdot sin\theta = m \lambda [/itex] and [itex]d/a=m [/itex], then you can show that [itex]a \cdot sin \theta = (d/m)sin \theta =...[/itex]..which answers the first part of the question.

For the second part, how would you proceed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?