• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Please Help Easy conic section question!

• Thread starter zaboda42
  • Start date
Please Help!!! Easy conic section question!

1. Graph each equation. Identify the conic section and its lines of symmetry. Then find the domain and range.

2. x^2 - y^2 - 9 = 0

3. I have no idea how to do this. I know it's a hyperbola because i solved for "y" and graphed it in my calculator, but i have no idea how to find the domain/range and values. Help!!

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Re: Please Help!!! Easy conic section question!

That is a hyperbola centered at the origin. Add +9 to both sides of the equation and then divide both sides by +9. I do not remember how to handle the rest of the graphing but the methods and characteristics should be well discussed and exemplefied in your book.

Mentallic

Homework Helper

There are two ways I can think of to answer this problem. The first is much easier, but only useful if you can visualize the hyperbola's rough shape.

1) Convert it into: [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]
With this hyperbola, if you understand its shape, you can find its domain such that [tex]x\leq a[/tex] and [tex]x\geq a[/tex] since the intersections are at [tex]x=\pm a[/tex]

2) Solve for y and find (if any) undefined regions, such as divisions by 0 or negatives in the square roots. This will give you the domain. (no undefined regions means that the domain is all x)
For the range, solve for x and do the same procedure.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

You shouldn't have needed your calculator. [itex]x^2- y^2= 9[/itex] or [itex]x^2/9- y^2/9= 1[/itex] is the standard form for a hyperbola with center at (0,0) and vertices at (3,0) and (-3,0). Knowing those vertices should give you the domain immediately.