1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help Easy conic section question!

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Please Help!!! Easy conic section question!

1. Graph each equation. Identify the conic section and its lines of symmetry. Then find the domain and range.

2. x^2 - y^2 - 9 = 0

3. I have no idea how to do this. I know it's a hyperbola because i solved for "y" and graphed it in my calculator, but i have no idea how to find the domain/range and values. Help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Please Help!!! Easy conic section question!

That is a hyperbola centered at the origin. Add +9 to both sides of the equation and then divide both sides by +9. I do not remember how to handle the rest of the graphing but the methods and characteristics should be well discussed and exemplefied in your book.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

There are two ways I can think of to answer this problem. The first is much easier, but only useful if you can visualize the hyperbola's rough shape.

1) Convert it into: [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]
    With this hyperbola, if you understand its shape, you can find its domain such that [tex]x\leq a[/tex] and [tex]x\geq a[/tex] since the intersections are at [tex]x=\pm a[/tex]

2) Solve for y and find (if any) undefined regions, such as divisions by 0 or negatives in the square roots. This will give you the domain. (no undefined regions means that the domain is all x)
    For the range, solve for x and do the same procedure.

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You shouldn't have needed your calculator. [itex]x^2- y^2= 9[/itex] or [itex]x^2/9- y^2/9= 1[/itex] is the standard form for a hyperbola with center at (0,0) and vertices at (3,0) and (-3,0). Knowing those vertices should give you the domain immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook