Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Please help!!! Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We want to analyze how a charged object picks up a neutral piece of metal. A small circular disk of foil is lying flat on a table. The foil has radius R and thickness t. A glass ball w/ positive charge Q is at height h above the foil.

The ball's electric field polarizes the foil. The foil surfaces with charges +q and -q then act as the the plates of a parallel plate capacitor with separation t. But the foil is a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium so the electric field inside the foil must be zero. Write this condition as a mathematical statement and use it to find the charge on the upper surface of the foil.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the electric field of this sphere is Q/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]or^2

Should the electric field from the ball equal the electric field from the top surface of the plate?

Ecapacitor = [tex]\eta[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o

in the case of the foil disk [tex]\eta[/tex]=q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2

so the electric field is then q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]R2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o

If I set this equal to the electric field of the ball I get

q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]R2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o=Q/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]or^2

q=QR2/h2

The answer is actually q=QR2/4h2

Could someone help me understand this better?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Re: Please help!!! Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

ok I found my mistake in the surface area of the foil... now for Q=50nC R= 1.0 mm and t=.01mm I need to find how close the ball must be to lift the foil

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook