1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Please help!!! Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We want to analyze how a charged object picks up a neutral piece of metal. A small circular disk of foil is lying flat on a table. The foil has radius R and thickness t. A glass ball w/ positive charge Q is at height h above the foil.

The ball's electric field polarizes the foil. The foil surfaces with charges +q and -q then act as the the plates of a parallel plate capacitor with separation t. But the foil is a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium so the electric field inside the foil must be zero. Write this condition as a mathematical statement and use it to find the charge on the upper surface of the foil.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the electric field of this sphere is Q/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]or^2

Should the electric field from the ball equal the electric field from the top surface of the plate?

Ecapacitor = [tex]\eta[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o

in the case of the foil disk [tex]\eta[/tex]=q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2

so the electric field is then q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]R2[tex]\epsilon[/tex]o

If I set this equal to the electric field of the ball I get

The answer is actually q=QR2/4h2

Could someone help me understand this better?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Re: Please help!!! Electric Field Problem due tomorrow

ok I found my mistake in the surface area of the foil... now for Q=50nC R= 1.0 mm and t=.01mm I need to find how close the ball must be to lift the foil
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?