Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help! Electric field!

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Two thin long charged metal plates are placed at x = 0, and x = d (that means they are plaed vertically, parallel to the Y Axis. Thus the distance between them is d. Assume that V(x=0) = 0, and that the thickness of the plates is lesser than d.

a) Find E(x) and V(x) when 0 < x < d.

First of all let the surface charge density [tex] \sigma = \frac{Q}{A} [/tex]

If i use Gauss Law then the Electric field [tex] E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} [/tex] since the plates are conducting surfaces.
    To find [tex] V(x) = \int E \cdot dx = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} \cdot dx = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} x [/tex]

i'm not really sure if i derived that expression correctly for V(x) which i why i need your help, please.

b) Find E(x) and V(x) if x > d
    E(x>d) = zero or kq / (x+d)^2
    V(x>d) = zero as well? or simply integrate E over x??

c) Find E(x) and V(x) if x<d
    same as the previous one?? i.e. both E and V are zero?? Not realy sure here either?

d) Sketch E(x) and V(X)
    I m not really sure about my expressions in a so if i found those out properly, with your help i can easily do this one!

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    so is ther anyone out there who can help me!!!

i am cofnused about hte first part whether E = kq/r^2 or E = constnat

but then the graphing part would be useless no?

And wha about the outsides of the plates?

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your E field and potential for the middle region (0 < x < d) are correct!

For x > d the electric field will be zero (it's discontinous due to the charge) and likewise for x < 0. However, the potential will be continuous across those surface.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook