1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help! Electric field!

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Two thin long charged metal plates are placed at x = 0, and x = d (that means they are plaed vertically, parallel to the Y Axis. Thus the distance between them is d. Assume that V(x=0) = 0, and that the thickness of the plates is lesser than d.

a) Find E(x) and V(x) when 0 < x < d.

First of all let the surface charge density [tex] \sigma = \frac{Q}{A} [/tex]

If i use Gauss Law then the Electric field [tex] E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} [/tex] since the plates are conducting surfaces.
    To find [tex] V(x) = \int E \cdot dx = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} \cdot dx = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}} x [/tex]

i'm not really sure if i derived that expression correctly for V(x) which i why i need your help, please.

b) Find E(x) and V(x) if x > d
    E(x>d) = zero or kq / (x+d)^2
    V(x>d) = zero as well? or simply integrate E over x??

c) Find E(x) and V(x) if x<d
    same as the previous one?? i.e. both E and V are zero?? Not realy sure here either?

d) Sketch E(x) and V(X)
    I m not really sure about my expressions in a so if i found those out properly, with your help i can easily do this one!

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    so is ther anyone out there who can help me!!!

i am cofnused about hte first part whether E = kq/r^2 or E = constnat

but then the graphing part would be useless no?

And wha about the outsides of the plates?

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your E field and potential for the middle region (0 < x < d) are correct!

For x > d the electric field will be zero (it's discontinous due to the charge) and likewise for x < 0. However, the potential will be continuous across those surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?