1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help explain what this means?

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    I'm reading a book and there is a section about rules to do with logarithms but one of them I don't understand, it is very wordy and I just can't get what it means.

It says "The logarithm of the power of a number is that power multiplied by the logarithm." I really don't understand what that means, can anyone who does break it down for me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2
    [tex]\log (x^a) = a\log x[/tex]

The logarithm "log" of the power "a" of a number "x" on the LHS, the power "a" multiplied by the logarithm [of that number] "log a" on the RHS.

4. May 28, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]y= a^x[/itex] then [itex]x= log_a(y)[/itex]. That is often used as the definition of the logarithm. Exactly how was "[itex]log_a(x)[/itex]" defined in your class?

5. May 28, 2014 #4
    How can x = the log of x? If we do 2^3 = 8 for example then log to the base 2 of 8 = 3, yes? I am still quite confused. I don't know why I can't understand this.

6. May 28, 2014 #5

adjacent

Gold Member

Who said ##x=\log(x)##?
    yes. It is correct.
    As HallsofIvy said before, if ##y=a^x## then ##\log_a(y)=x##.
    I understand it this way: To what power should x be raised to get y?

7. May 28, 2014 #6
    I'm sorry, I misread HallsofIvy's post. I think I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook