How Far Do Ink Droplets Fall in a Printer?

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
In summary: I have no problem in chemistry and have learned calculus and statistics. I am just having a hard time with physics and I am not sure why. In summary, the conversation discusses the horizontal ejection of ink droplets in an ink-jet printer and the distance they travel before falling onto the paper. The problem asks for the distance the droplets fall in the given time interval, and the solution involves using kinematics equations to find the time and displacement. The conversation also touches on frame of reference and vector quantities in physics problem solving.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Ink droplets in an ink-jet printer are ejected horizontally at 12 and travel a horizontal distance of 1.0 to the paper.

How far do they fall in this interval?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

so v0 = 12 m/s

x = 1 mm.

??I am not geting the question

Physics news on Phys.org
umm...i think you use
x = (v0) (t) and solve for time

then use the time for one of the kinematics equation as if it were free fall? does that make sense to you?

can you explain what they mean by " How far do they fall in this interval? "

i think basically its just asking for the height the ink dropped from the pen onto the paper

so would this be correct :

x = v0 *t.

t = x/v0

= 1mm / 12 m/s

= 0.001m / 12 m/s

t = 8.3 x 10^-5

so using the equation,

Y = Y0 +Vy0*t -1/2 g*t^2

y = 0 + 12(8.3 x 10^-5) - 1/2 (9.8) (8.3 x 10 ^-5)^2

= 10.0 x 10^-4

I see no problem with the time. The equation you used was correct too but the problem is that vyo = 0 m/s and not twelve because the angle of elevation from the horizontal is 0 therefore vyo = sin (0 degrees) (12 m/s) = 0 m/s

Are you sure because vy0 ( read as initial velocity of y) ? which i think should be 12

well vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction. In other words the vertical direction. The ink was ejected horizontally 12 m/s so that's why the vy0 = 0 m/s

x = v0 *t.

t = x/v0

= 1mm / 12 m/s

= 0.001m / 12 m/s

t = 8.3 x 10^-5

so using the equation,

Y = Y0 +Vy0*t -1/2 g*t^2

y = 0 + 0(8.3 x 10^-5) - 1/2 (9.8) (8.3 x 10 ^-5)^2

= -3.40 x 10^-8...

The number should not be negative?

Its negative because of the frame of reference. remember displacement is a vector? its only negative because its downward. the opposite would be true
the distance is just 3.40 x 10^-8

so should the answer be the absolute value of the answer.

yes I believe so

Thank you for you help. As you can see I am very new to this and also having a hard time grasping the method and concept of solving physics problem. Although I do not know why, because I am relatively good at quantitative work.

1. What is a projectory object?

A projectory object is a term used in physics to describe an object that is moving through the air, such as a projectile or a flying object. It follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectory object determined?

The trajectory of a projectory object is determined by its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors can be calculated using mathematical equations, or can be measured through experiments.

3. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectory object?

The trajectory of a projectory object can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and weight of the object. These factors can cause the object to deviate from its expected path.

4. How can the trajectory of a projectory object be predicted?

The trajectory of a projectory object can be predicted using mathematical equations, such as the projectile motion equations, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These equations can be used to calculate the object's position and velocity at any given time during its flight.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectory objects?

Some real-life examples of projectory objects include a baseball being thrown, a rocket launching into space, a basketball being shot into a hoop, and a frisbee being thrown. These objects all follow a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on them.