1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help general physics question

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    One liter ( 1000 cm^3) of oil is spilled onto a smooth lake.If the oil spreads out uniformly until

it makes an oil slick just one molecule thick, with adjacent molecules just touching, estimate

the diameter of the oil slick. Assume the oil molecules have a diameter of 2X10^-10m.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

How would you approach the problem?

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Well i would first convert the volume of water into m3 which is 1. so....then i cant think of anythin..i need help solving this

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What volume of water? I will presume you mean the volume of oil. That may not be necessary.

What is the volume of an oil molecule of the given diameter? Maybe start there?

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5
    sorry i meant volume of oil....well volume of oil molecule will be Pi r^2 so..22/7 * (1 * 10^-10)^2
    so 3.14 X 10^-20

7. Sep 2, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What is volume in units of again?

8. Sep 2, 2008 #7
  9. Sep 2, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What are the units of the answer you supplied for volume?

10. Sep 2, 2008 #9
    the unit is meter cube or litres

11. Sep 2, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

No actually it's not. You supplied an answer that was in m2 not m3.

The formula for volume of a sphere is not pi R2.

12. Sep 2, 2008 #11
    sorry volume is ( π X d³)/6

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  13. Sep 2, 2008 #12

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK so now what is the volume of the molecule?

Then next how many of those are there in the volume of oil?

14. Sep 2, 2008 #13
    then the vol of molecule is 4.2 X 10^-30......so no. of those in 1 L are 2.4 X 10^29.....what next

15. Sep 2, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You previously calculated the area that one of these would cover ... so knowing how many you have now what is the area they will spread out to according to the statement of the problem?

16. Sep 2, 2008 #15
    first, convert the volume of oil from cm^3 to m^3. now we work backwards
    first divide the volume of oil by the thickness of one molucule by doing this what happens is m3/(m becomes m^2 which is area, therfore you have now solved for the surface area. now since it says diameter im assuming the lake is circular, so just plug into the equation for area of a circle and work backwards
    a = ╥r2
    a/╥ = r2
    sqrt(a/╥) = r
    now just double too find the diameter and you have your answer. its simple geometry, you probably just thought a little too hard about it.

17. Sep 2, 2008 #16
    thanks alot man..i really understood the way u explained...i have one more doubt that i posted earlier but no one replied heres the question...

For small angles theta, the numerical value of sin theta is approximately the same as the

numerical value of tan theta.Find the largest angle for which sine and tangent agree to within

two significant figures.

Thank you for all the help

18. Sep 2, 2008 #17
    hmm well basically its saying find the highest value of Ø such as sin(Ø) = tan(Ø) up to the second decimal place. im guessing alot of guessing/checking?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?