What is the Diameter of an Oil Slick Spreading on a Lake?

In summary: Thanks a lot man..i really understood the way u explained...i have one more doubt that i posted earlier but no one replied here's the question...For small angles theta, the numerical value of sin theta is approximately the same as thenumerical value of tan theta.Find the largest angle for which sine and tangent agree to withintwo significant figures.Thank you for all the help. I would say the angle at which sine and tangent agree to within 2 significant figures would be around 37 degrees.
homeworkboy
One liter ( 1000 cm^3) of oil is spilled onto a smooth lake.If the oil spreads out uniformly until

it makes an oil slick just one molecule thick, with adjacent molecules just touching, estimate

the diameter of the oil slick. Assume the oil molecules have a diameter of 2X10^-10m.

Physics news on Phys.org
homeworkboy said:
One liter ( 1000 cm^3) of oil is spilled onto a smooth lake.If the oil spreads out uniformly until

it makes an oil slick just one molecule thick, with adjacent molecules just touching, estimate

the diameter of the oil slick. Assume the oil molecules have a diameter of 2X10^-10m.

Welcome to PF.

How would you approach the problem?

Well i would first convert the volume of water into m3 which is 1. so...then i can't think of anythin..i need help solving this

homeworkboy said:
Well i would first convert the volume of water into m3 which is 1. so...then i can't think of anythin..i need help solving this

What volume of water? I will presume you mean the volume of oil. That may not be necessary.

What is the volume of an oil molecule of the given diameter? Maybe start there?

sorry i meant volume of oil...well volume of oil molecule will be Pi r^2 so..22/7 * (1 * 10^-10)^2
so 3.14 X 10^-20

homeworkboy said:
sorry i meant volume of oil...well volume of oil molecule will be Pi r^2 so..22/7 * (1 * 10^-10)^2
so 3.14 X 10^-20

What is volume in units of again?

its m3

homeworkboy said:
its m3

What are the units of the answer you supplied for volume?

the unit is meter cube or litres

homeworkboy said:
the unit is meter cube or litres

No actually it's not. You supplied an answer that was in m2 not m3.

The formula for volume of a sphere is not pi R2.

sorry volume is ( π X d³)/6

Last edited:
homeworkboy said:
sorry volume is ( π X d³)/6

OK so now what is the volume of the molecule?

Then next how many of those are there in the volume of oil?

then the vol of molecule is 4.2 X 10^-30...so no. of those in 1 L are 2.4 X 10^29...what next

homeworkboy said:
then the vol of molecule is 4.2 X 10^-30...so no. of those in 1 L are 2.4 X 10^29...what next

You previously calculated the area that one of these would cover ... so knowing how many you have now what is the area they will spread out to according to the statement of the problem?

first, convert the volume of oil from cm^3 to m^3. now we work backwards
first divide the volume of oil by the thickness of one molucule by doing this what happens is m3/(m becomes m^2 which is area, therefore you have now solved for the surface area. now since it says diameter I am assuming the lake is circular, so just plug into the equation for area of a circle and work backwards
a = ╥r2
a/╥ = r2
sqrt(a/╥) = r
now just double too find the diameter and you have your answer. its simple geometry, you probably just thought a little too hard about it.

thanks a lot man..i really understood the way u explained...i have one more doubt that i posted earlier but no one replied here's the question...

For small angles theta, the numerical value of sin theta is approximately the same as the

numerical value of tan theta.Find the largest angle for which sine and tangent agree to within

two significant figures.Thank you for all the help

hmm well basically its saying find the highest value of Ø such as sin(Ø) = tan(Ø) up to the second decimal place. I am guessing a lot of guessing/checking?

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of both the object's speed and its direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the object's displacement over time, while speed does not.

2. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In simpler terms, objects at rest tend to stay at rest and objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless something stops or changes their motion.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is typically measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons (or pounds in some systems of measurement).

4. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. For example, a moving car has kinetic energy, while a stretched rubber band has potential energy. Both types of energy can be converted into one another.