How Far Above a Planet's Surface is a Starship if Gravity is Halved?

• Thread starter pureouchies4717
  • Start date
In summary: not (how much above) so to answer the question correctly i would have to enter something like 3.141592 instead of 2
pureouchies4717
this is the question:
A starship is circling a distant planet of radius R. The astronauts find that the acceleration due to gravity at their altitude is half the value at the planet's surface. How far above the surface are they orbiting? Your answer will be a multiple of R.

using a= (GM)/r^2, i found out that d=2R

this is wrong, though

can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Explanation.

NOTES:
I will define 'a' as the planet's acceleration.
I will definie 'A' as the spaceship's acceleration.
I will define 'd' as their current altitude with respect to the planet.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

[tex]a_g = (G M) / r^2[/tex]

The planet has a r=R, so the 'a' at the planet's surface is:

[tex]a_g = (G M) / R^2[/tex]

They realize that their 'A' at their altitude is 'a/2'

[tex]A_g = (G M) / d^2[/tex]
OR
[tex](a/2)_g = (G M) / d^2[/tex]

Let's look at this for a second. Everything in this equation is constant except for [tex]R^2[/tex] and [tex]d^2[/tex] and acceleration of gravity.

We can summarize this: [tex]a_g \sim 1/r^2[/tex]

The acceleration of gravity is inversely proportional to r-squared. If we double the distance r, the acceleration is 1/4 than it was at a distance r.

So... solving for 'r'.

[tex]r^2 = 1/a_g[/tex]
[tex]r = \sqrt{1/a_g}[/tex]

So if the acceleration is 1/2

[tex]r = \sqrt{1/1/2}[/tex]
[tex]r = \sqrt{2}[/tex]

So there is your answer, mathematically... Now, having your answer as a multiple of r means ANY REAL number, not a whole number.

Last edited:
thank you!

:!)

i don't understand... i understand how r = sqrt of 2, mathematically, but how does this equate to being a multiple of r?

mawalker said:
i don't understand... i understand how r = sqrt of 2, mathematically, but how does this equate to being a multiple of r?

nevermind...i see what was going on... tricky problem i entered the square root of 2 twice and now i understand that they ask (how far above)

1. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between the objects.

2. How does distance affect gravitational force?

According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases.

3. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force of gravity.

4. Can the gravitational force between two objects be negative?

No, the gravitational force between two objects cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, regardless of the direction of the force.

5. How is the gravitational force between two objects affected by their masses?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the masses of the objects. This means that as the masses of the objects increase, the force of gravity between them also increases.