Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help - Gravity v/& Acceleration

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with this as I am having a problem sorting all this out.

I have been told that Gravity and acceration are the same thing. It was explained to me by thinking about droping a ball in a lift (that was is space so no gravity) and the ball would act as if it was being pulled to the floor by gravity.

OK, I sort of understand this.

But I was also told that if a swing a stone on a string around y head, then the stone is affected by gravity towards the centre of the spining. ie. towards me. But I can't be producing gravity, so what is happening please.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Alison

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really the same thing. Accelerated frames are equivalent to frames at rest in a gravitational field.
    You are producing "artificial" gravity. For someone living in the stone it would the same as being at rest on the surface of a planet.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    oooooo. I get it now.
    Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?