Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help! How to find the potential difference of a spherical shell

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
    I can frankly say i'm totally confused on how to solve this problem. Here it is:

A think spherical shell of charge Q and uniform volume charge density p is bounded by radii r1 and r1 where r2>r1. WIth V=0 at infinity find the electric potential V as a function of the distance from the centre of the distribution considering the regions:

a) r > r2 Ans. V = kQ/r because the spherical distribution will act like a point charge when any point is taken outside the shell, by Gauss Law

b) r2 > r > r1 Ans. completely confused here...Using the concept in the first part a) i would think from the iner radii point of view

Vsmall = kQ/r

but since it is enclosed in a bigger radii i have no idea how to proceed

c) r < r1 if the previous confused me then this one is so above my head it's orbiting the earth

d) do these results agree at r = r2 and r = r1 ... Well if i could answer b and c then i might be able to answer this one

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2004 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

c) should be easy, if the Electric field is zero inside the shell, what does this say about the potential?

b) is a little trickier. How does the Electric field behave inside the shell? Does it go up as r^2? Use Gauss' Law if you must.

d) The answers should agree, if not, then a mistake has been made.

Claude.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook