How Do You Calculate the Depth in This Hydrostatics Problem?

In summary, this person is trying to solve a hydrostatics problem but is having trouble. They have calculated the torques of the weight and the hydrostatic pressure force around a chosen point, but are not sure how to find the equilibrium height. They are also confused about why the resultant moment is in the center of the gate.
ceulmad
Please HELP! Hydrostatics Problem

Hi,

I am really desperate and need help with the following problem in hydroststics.

take a look at the picture:

http://www.moncton.net/banners/statics.gif

the answer is 0.955 meters. I have no idea how they arrived at that answer. Pleeeease HELP!

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I can help much here, but you should start with calculating the torques of the weight of the gate and the torque of the resulting hydrostatic pressure force around a wisely chosen point.

radou said:
I'm not sure I can help much here, but you should start with calculating the torques of the weight of the gate and the torque of the resulting hydrostatic pressure force around a wisely chosen point.

thanks for the advice, I have done that. What point are your referring to?

ceulmad said:
thanks for the advice, I have done that. What point are your referring to?

The point where the hinge of the gate is placed wouldn't be a bad idea.

radou said:
The point where the hinge of the gate is placed wouldn't be a bad idea.

So fine, I can calculate the Moment about that point for the 4000kg force (4000*9.81*1.6)
but then what?

i realize that there must be a reacting moment pushing in the opposite direction. But at what location?

ceulmad said:
i realize that there must be a reacting moment pushing in the opposite direction. But at what location?

The other moment is the one produced by the resulting force of the hydrostatic pressure, as already mentioned. This resultant force acts at the center of the gate and it 'tries' to open the gate. By setting the sum of these moments equal zero with respect to the mentioned point, you are expressing a condition of equilibrium, i.e. you can find a boundary expression for the height h, since the equation includes the hydrostatic pressure.

radou said:
The other moment is the one produced by the resulting force of the hydrostatic pressure, as already mentioned. This resultant force acts at the center of the gate and it 'tries' to open the gate. By setting the sum of these moments equal zero with respect to the mentioned point, you are expressing a condition of equilibrium, i.e. you can find a boundary expression for the height h, since the equation includes the hydrostatic pressure.

again, thanks for your help, bu tthis is what i have been doign all along. Its just I can't get 0.955m to be my answer. Can you try to crunch these numbers?

Another ? is why are you saying that the resulting moment is in the center of the gate? The centroid of pressure is 1/3 from the bottom usually?

ceulmad said:
Another ? is why are you saying that the resulting moment is in the center of the gate? The centroid of pressure is 1/3 from the bottom usually?

You're right, my mistake.

I'll look at the answer as soon as I find the time.

1. What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the study of fluids at rest and the forces acting on them.

2. What is a hydrostatics problem?

A hydrostatics problem is a physics problem that involves the calculation of forces and pressures on a fluid at rest, typically in a container or vessel.

3. How do I solve a hydrostatics problem?

To solve a hydrostatics problem, you need to use the principles of Pascal's law and Archimedes' principle to calculate the forces and pressures acting on the fluid in the system. This involves understanding the properties of the fluid, such as density and pressure, and using equations to find the unknown variables.

4. What are some common applications of hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics has many practical applications, including determining water pressure in plumbing systems, designing dams and reservoirs, and understanding the buoyancy of ships and submarines.

5. How does hydrostatics relate to other branches of science?

Hydrostatics is closely related to other branches of science, such as hydrodynamics, which deals with fluids in motion, and aerodynamics, which studies the flow of air over objects. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.