Please help I'm new to the forum

• Thread starter mischavalenti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the conversation was about a psychology student struggling with understanding statistics. They expressed their difficulty with math and requested help. Other users offered advice and resources, including a website with mock exams and an Italian text on medical statistics. The student also mentioned their native language was not English and asked if there were any resources available in Afrikaans.
mischavalenti
Hi everyone... I found this forum while desperately looking for someone to help me with my statistics assignment, well not just the assignment, just understanding all the new formulas and symbols and things in general.
I'm studying psychology and one of my modules is this research statistics. (I never knew it would involve math.) :cry:

I can't even work a scientific calculator and I count on my fingers so pushing me into this is like pushing me off a cliff and expecting me to fly.

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that can help me?
Am I even in the right place?

Thank you
Mischa

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF mischavalenti! I'm sure you can get all the help you need, there is a forum at the top of the main page dedicated to helping with homework. If you post your questions there I'm sure you can get an answer.

Unfortunately for you all sciences, even psychology, are highly dependent on statistics. Without them we couldn't do proper data analysis! I'd advise buying an introductory guide to statistics so that you can rate your knowledge as higher then counting fingers in the future.

Thank you so much Ryan.

Yes, I have noticed that psychology does require some mathematical knowledge, unfortunately for me I found that out too late.

I did look for some kind of guide in bookshops and can't seem to find any...
So I'm browsing around on stattrek.com they have mock exams and explain things better than my textbook (which is written by local morons, I don't trust textbooks compiled by the university.)
I still don't find their "symbol" explanations easy enough.
They put the math problems out very nicely but it means nothing when you don't understand what all the {]}] etc. means.
I've printed out a matrix of what symbols mean what and still I'm a bit confused.

And it doesn't help that everything is in English and its not my first language.

mischavalenti said:
And it doesn't help that everything is in English and its not my first language.

I'm guessing your native language is Italian from your username. Here's an Italian edition of a text on medical statistics. In general such texts provide a decent basic introduction such as in estimating means and variances, hypothesis testing, normal theory, sample size determination, etc. I can't say I'm familiar with this particular text.

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mb55/intro/intitaly.htm

Thanks SW it's very kind of you but my username is far from my home language. :)
It's actually Mischavalentine, but the forum would not accept the full name. lol
I'm South-African and my native language is Afrikaans, you don't perhaps have an Afrikaans version? :)

Once again...super nice of you, thanks for trying. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of this forum?

The purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for individuals to engage in discussions and share knowledge about various scientific topics.

2. How do I navigate and use the forum?

To navigate the forum, you can use the menu bar at the top of the page or the search function to find specific topics. To participate in discussions, you can click on a thread and leave a comment or create a new thread.

3. Can I ask any scientific questions on this forum?

Yes, this forum is open to all scientific topics and discussions. However, it is important to make sure your question has not already been answered in a previous thread and to follow the forum's guidelines and rules.

4. How can I get help if I am struggling to use the forum?

If you are having trouble using the forum, you can reach out to the forum moderators or administrators for assistance. You can also check the forum's FAQ or guidelines for more information.

5. Can I share my own research or experiments on this forum?

Yes, this forum welcomes individuals to share their own research or experiments. However, it is important to follow ethical guidelines and provide proper citations for any information shared. You can also ask for feedback or collaborate with others on your research.