1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help in limits

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    hello everyone
    we've been doing some exercices of limits at class and there are many ones that i didn't understand... and since you don't get that chance to ask your teacher after class in Morcco, I came here for help!
    here are two of the tens that i didn't undersatnd:
    so to solve this limit:

lim (x-1)/(sqrt(x²+1))
    x-> +infinity

you have to go from or each x Є ]-infinity,0[ U ]0, +infinity[
    .........|x| sqrt(1+1/x²)

i just want to understand how you go from that first line to th second line !?

and also on this one:

how to go from
    [itex]x(sqrt(1+1/x+1/x^2)-1)) [/itex] for each x Є ]0,+infinity[

i really appreciate your help, and also if there is a website that gives you the trucks to solve these kind of limits...thanks again
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just bringing the x outside of the brackets. Isn't is clear that x(1-1/x) is the same as (x-1) for x/=0? Just expand the brackets.
    Same thing with sqrt(x^2+1). You can bring out the x^2 in (x^2+1), giving x^2(1+1/x^2) (valid for x/=0)

But you don't need it to solve the limit. Intuitively you can argue that the -1 in the numerator and the +1 in the denominator are pretty insignificant for large x, so ignoring those you get x/|x|, whose limit is clear.
    You can also simply divide top and bottom of the fraction by x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?