Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help Integration!

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Please Help!! Integration!

Hi!!

I'm having a little problem with an exercise and I dunno how to sort it out.

Basically what I have is a tube of 5mm ejecting spray fuels. At the exit plane I have positioned lasers to measure the volume flux at different locations, starting from one side of the tube to the other side. The increment for each location was of 0.0254mm.

At each location I measured the volume flux, now I have to calculate the total volume flux and I don't know how to do that (I have a basic idea but I'm not quite sure about it).

Could you guys help me out here?

I've attached a picture illustrating what I have. The spots along the diameter line are the volume flux at each location.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2066/jato.jpg [Broken]

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Please Help!! Integration!

This problem isn't as straightforward as it may seem, but may be if we can exploit certain symmetries.

For example, do you know if the flow rate is independent of the polar angle? In other words, if you rotate you laser array by some angle, do your readings change?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook