Help! Integrating Volume Flux Across a Tube

In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking help with calculating the total volume flux of a tube ejecting spray fuels. They have measured the volume flux at different locations using lasers and are unsure of how to calculate the total volume flux. They have attached a picture for reference and are wondering if there are any symmetries that can be exploited to make the problem easier.
Dampire
Please Help! Integration!

Hi!

I'm having a little problem with an exercise and I don't know how to sort it out.

Basically what I have is a tube of 5mm ejecting spray fuels. At the exit plane I have positioned lasers to measure the volume flux at different locations, starting from one side of the tube to the other side. The increment for each location was of 0.0254mm.

At each location I measured the volume flux, now I have to calculate the total volume flux and I don't know how to do that (I have a basic idea but I'm not quite sure about it).

Could you guys help me out here?

I've attached a picture illustrating what I have. The spots along the diameter line are the volume flux at each location.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2066/jato.jpg [Broken]

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

This problem isn't as straightforward as it may seem, but may be if we can exploit certain symmetries.

For example, do you know if the flow rate is independent of the polar angle? In other words, if you rotate you laser array by some angle, do your readings change?

1. What is volume flux?

Volume flux is a measure of the volume of fluid passing through a given area per unit time. It is also known as flow rate or volume flow rate.

2. How is volume flux calculated?

Volume flux is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid passing through a given area by the time it takes for the fluid to pass through that area. The formula for volume flux is Q = A * v, where Q is the volume flux, A is the cross-sectional area of the tube, and v is the fluid velocity.

3. Why is it important to calculate volume flux across a tube?

Calculating volume flux across a tube is important in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, engineering, and environmental science. It allows us to understand and analyze the flow of fluids through a system, which is crucial in designing and optimizing processes and systems.

4. What is the significance of integrating volume flux across a tube?

Integrating volume flux across a tube is important because it gives us the total volume of fluid passing through the tube over a given period of time. This information can be used to determine the efficiency of a system, identify potential issues, and make improvements.

5. What are some factors that can affect volume flux across a tube?

The volume flux across a tube can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and any obstructions or changes in the tube's cross-sectional area. Additionally, the type of fluid and the flow conditions can also impact the volume flux.