PLEASE help Kepler's third law for electrical orbits

In summary, Kepler's third law for electrical orbits states that the orbital period, T, is related to the separation distance, r, by: T^2= (16)(pi^3)(E0)(me)(mp).
PinkFlamingo
PLEASE help! Kepler's third law for electrical orbits

Hi there! I hope someone can help me with this problem. I've been working on this for over 5 hours and I've gotten nowhere! :eek:

A positron is a particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. A positron and an electron can briefly form an unusual atom known as positronium. Imagine a situation where the two particles are in a circular orbit about their center of mass. Since the particles have equal mass, the center of mass is midway between them. Let r be the separation of the particles (so that the orbits are each of radius r/2).

(a) Show that the orbital period T is related to the separation distance r by:

T^2 = (16)(pi^3)(E0)(me)(mp) (r^3)
---------------------
(e^2)[(me) + (mp)]

This is a consequence of Kepler's third law for electrical orbits.

(b) Show that if an electron and a proton are in circular orbits about their center of mass (which is not at the midway point between them but much closer to the proton), then the same expression results.

OK, so so far, I'm guessing that I somehow use the formulae:

q = ne

F = 1 |Q||q|
-------- x ---------
4(pi)(E0) (r^2)

But I'm not really sure where the rest of it comes from :confused:

If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Mandy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
same here

Hey! I have got the same problem right now in my book! Which book are you guys using? I know where the rest comes from, I am just not sure how to intigrate it!
I think you have to equal the two formulas Kepler's third law T^2= 4 pi^2/Gms r^3 and coulomb's law...I have gotten half way but can't get any farther...
So maybe someone can help with the rest? :confused:

cool

I'm using a book called university physics right now... is it the same book? If it is maybe we could help each other out. I think this class is going to kill me. :yuck:

I figured out the problem I think. The trick is to use Newton's modified version of Kepler's law, which takes into account the masses of the positron and electron.

The part I'm not sure about though is part b... could anyone help me out with that? why does the formula stay the same no matter where the center of mass is?

Good luck

What I have done so far was to equal the two formulas and then simplify them...I think I got it but I am not sure about it...And about the second part, how can I make the changes so when the masses are different?
I too the Coulomb`s law and Kpeler`s third law for gravitation...
T^2= 4pi^2/Gm r^3 =1/4piE (qq/r^2)
what I got was this but I am not sure about it...
4pi^2/G(Me+Mp)r^3=e^2/4piEr^2
But beyond this I am not sure how they actually got to the final equation! GUYS I need help! hehe I have this assingment due tomorrow and it is 25 percent out of my fanal grade! I don`t want to be kicked out of engineering! hehehe joking...thanks a lot for your help guys please I really need it!

Bye bye

1. What is Kepler's third law for electrical orbits?

Kepler's third law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. In electrical orbits, this law applies to charged particles orbiting around a central charged body.

2. How is Kepler's third law derived for electrical orbits?

Kepler's third law can be derived using Coulomb's law of electrostatics, which describes the force between two charged particles. By equating this force with the centripetal force required to keep a particle in orbit, the relationship between orbital period and semi-major axis can be derived.

3. How does Kepler's third law affect the motion of charged particles in an orbit?

Kepler's third law describes the relationship between the period of an orbit and the size of the orbit. This means that the further a charged particle is from the central charged body, the longer its orbital period will be. It also means that as the particle's orbital velocity increases, its distance from the central body must also increase.

4. Can Kepler's third law be applied to all types of orbits?

Yes, Kepler's third law can be applied to any orbit where a central force acts on a smaller object, such as gravitation or electrostatic force. However, it is most commonly used for circular orbits or highly elliptical orbits, where the force is constant.

5. How is Kepler's third law useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in an orbit?

Kepler's third law provides a mathematical relationship between the period and size of an orbit, allowing scientists to make predictions about the motion of charged particles in an orbit. This law is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as the orbits of multiple charged bodies or particles with varying charges.