Proving Convergence and Polarization Identity for Limiting Sequences

• Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: For all n, \left|x_n-x_m| \leq \varepsilon .In summary, it would be helpful if you could provide a step by step procedure for solving the homework equations.
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

I have a 3 parter. I think I have the first part, the second part I am not sure of and the third part I am kind of getting desperate with...

(a) Prove first that if c is a constant, and [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} s_n = s[/tex] , then [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} cs_n = cs[/tex].
(b) Prove that if [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} s_n = s[/tex] then [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} s^2_n = s^2[/tex]. (Hint:recall that convergent sequences are bounded.)
(c) Use the polarization identity [tex]ab = \frac{1}{4}((a+b)^2-(a-b)^2)[/tex] to prove that if [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} s_n = s[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} t_n = t[/tex] , then [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} t_ns_n = ts[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Since for all [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex] , there exists an [tex]N[/tex], such that if [tex]n > N , |s_n-s| < \varepsilon[/tex] , there should
exist an [tex]n_{\mu} \geq n[/tex] such that [tex]c|s_n-s| \leq \varepsilon[/tex] hence [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} cs_n = cs[/tex]

(b) [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \inf}s_n = s[/tex] implies that [tex]{s_n}[/tex] is compact and bounded. Take [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex]. For some [tex]M[/tex], if [tex]n \geq M[/tex], then [tex]|s_n-s|=|s-s_n| < \sqrt{\varepsilon}[/tex] and therefore [tex]|s-s_n|^2 < \varepsilon[/tex]. so now [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \inf}(s_n-s)^2 = 0[/tex].
Take [tex]|s_n^2-s^2| = |s_n(s_n-s)-s(s-s_n)| \leq |s_n||s_n-s|-|s||s-s_n| \leq |s_n-s|(|s_n|-|s|) \leq \varepsilon[/tex] which gives us [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \inf}(s_n^2-s^2)=0[/tex]

(c) If my other two are even correct, this is where I am stuck. PLEASE give me a little nudge...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) It would be nice if you showed more steps for your choice of epsilon but the proof is more or less correct.
2) I can't say the proof is incorrect but you should have followed the suggestion. The proof is kind of ...hmm... I don't know how to put it.:-)

[tex] s_{n}^2 - s^2 = \left(s_n+s \right) \left( s_n -s \right)[/tex]

You know abs(s_n) <=B . You should be able to find a better proof.

3) I am not sure what you are allowed to use but it could be done using some limit theorems; I have never "seen" that inequality. I suppose if you plug in s_nt_n in that forumula and use some other limit theorem you could do this problem. The formula looks like some sort of completing the square formula ... Anyway
(s_n)(t_n) -st = (t_n)( s_n -s) + s(t_n-t)

Use trigangle inequality and the fact that t_n is bounded and then use the typical epsilon/2 argument with a bit of modification.

for (c) you would use (a) and (b)

I am still having a lot of trouble with this. i know it must be obvious.
I took the upper bound of [tex]t_n = B[/tex] i went and plugged in [tex]t_ns_n[/tex] to get [tex]t_ns_n=\frac{1}{4}(((s_n+t_n)^2-(s_n-t_n)^2) \leq \frac{1}{4}(s_n^2+2Bs_n+B^2-s_n^2+2s_nB) = s_nB [/tex] which converges to [tex]sB[/tex] and then the same argument but take an upper bound of [tex]s_n = A[/tex] and so on. Then from (a), we have in both cases that A and B are constants and they both converge to [tex]Bs[/tex] and [tex]At[/tex], respectively. But I feel like i did not really use the formula, wasn't it just basically a formality? I could have skipped that part and I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. Am i doing this right?

Last edited:
That is why I suggested another method.

With the formula you seem to need some other results like ...the sum of convergent sequences is convergent .

[tex]
a=t_ns_n-st \quad b=t_ms_m-st
[/tex]

and think of Cauchy sequences.

ZioX, what is the relation of [tex]t_n[/tex] to [tex]t_m[/tex]?

Same sequence, just at different n.

Another way of looking at whether sequences converge is that after some point they become arbitrarily close together. That is, if for any epsilon there is an N such that for n,m > N |x_n-x_m|< epsilon.

Such a sequence is called Cauchy sequence.

Why is it so difficult to do the following [tex] \left(s_n \right) \left(t_n \right) -st = \left(t_n \right) \left( s_n -s \right) + s \left(t_n-t \right) [/tex]

[tex] \left|\left(t_n \right) \left( s_n -s \right) + s \left(t_n-t \right)\right| \leq \left|t_n\right|\left|s_n -s\right| + s\left|t_n -t\right| [/tex]We know [tex]\left|t_n -t\right| \leq \frac{\epsilon}{s} [/tex] for some [tex]n_0[/tex].

We know [tex]\left| t_n \right| \leq B[/tex]

And we also know ...
[tex]\left|s_n -s\right| \leq \frac{\epsilon}{B} [/tex] for some [tex] n_1[/tex]

1. What exactly are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain value. This value can either be a real number, infinity, or negative infinity.

2. Why are limits important in mathematics?

Limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand and analyze the behavior of functions and sequences, especially when the input or index approaches a certain value. They also play a crucial role in calculus, as they are used to define concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

3. How do you prove a limit in mathematics?

To prove a limit in mathematics, you must use the definition of a limit, which states that for a given function or sequence, the limit L is true if for any positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that when the input or index is within δ of the desired value, the output or term is within ε of the limit L.

4. Can limits be used to evaluate functions?

Yes, limits can be used to evaluate functions. In fact, the limit of a function at a specific point is the same as the value of the function at that point, assuming the function is continuous at that point.

5. Are there any special properties or rules for limits?

Yes, there are several properties and rules for limits that can be used to simplify the process of evaluating limits. These include the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, as well as the power rule and the limit of a composition of functions.