Looks simple at first but really found it difficult.

• Thread starter maobadi
  • Start date
In summary, the resistance of Ra is 7.14 ohms and the resistance of Rb is 14.28 ohms, with Ra having a lower resistance than Rb. This can be determined by using the given voltage readings and the formula for finding parallel resistance.
maobadi
Two resistors Ra and Rb are connected in series with each other between the terminals of a battery giving a constant pd of 49V. When a voltmeter of 500 ohm resistance is connected across each in turn, the reading are given as Va = 14V and Vb = 28V. Determine the resistance of Ra and Rb..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you this much: Ra has a lower resistance than Rb. You are going to have to show some work here. What have you determined so far? It's basic algebra which I hate to admit I'm a bit rusty at right now. This should be moved to homework section.

Do you know the formula to find the parallel resistance (Rp) of Ra and the meter (Rm)? If so, can you rearrange it to find Ra if you know Rp and Rm?

((500Ra)/(Ra+500))i = 14
((500Rb)/(Rb+500))i = 28

(Ra+Rb)i = 49

This what I have come up with but where do I go from here

maobadi said:
((500Ra)/(Ra+500))i = 14
((500Rb)/(Rb+500))i = 28

(Ra+Rb)i = 49

This what I have come up with but where do I go from here

Your first mistake is in assuming the battery current is the same in the two cases. You need to rewrite your equations as:

((500Ra)/(Ra+500))i1 = 14
((500Rb)/(Rb+500))i2 = 28

You also know that:

((500Ra)/(Ra+500))i1 + Rb*i1 = 49
((500Rb)/(Rb+500))i2 + Ra*i2 = 49

You can eliminate I1 between the the first two equations of each pair, and I2 between the second two of each pair.

This will give you two equations in the two unknowns, Ra and Rb. You should be able to proceed from there.

Given:
Vs = 49
Va = 14
Vb = 28
Rm = 500 meter resistance

V(Ra) = Vs - Vb
V(Ra) is the voltage across Ra when the meter is across Rb

V(Rb) = Vs - Va

V(Rm) = V(Rp)*V(Ra)/(V(Ra) - V(Rp))
V(Rm) is the voltage across the meter if Ra
were removed and just the meter were in
series with Rb.

Ia = Va(Rm)/Rm
Ia is current through the meter when it is
replacing Ra.

Ib = Vb(Rm)/Rm
Ib is current through the meter when it is
replacing Rb.

Ra = V(Ra)/Ia
Rb = V(Rb)/Ib

Last edited:

1. Why does something that looks simple at first end up being difficult?

Many things that appear simple at first glance are actually more complex than they seem. Sometimes there are underlying factors or details that are not immediately apparent, leading to difficulty once you delve deeper into the subject.

2. How do you handle a situation where something seems simple but is actually very difficult?

In these situations, it is important to approach the problem with patience and persistence. Take the time to fully understand the complexity of the task and break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Don't be afraid to seek help or advice from others who may have more experience in the subject.

3. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for tackling complex problems that seem simple?

Yes, there are various problem-solving techniques that can help in these situations. Some common ones include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, brainstorming potential solutions, and trial and error. It is also helpful to have a positive mindset and be open to learning and adapting as you go.

4. How can we prevent underestimating the difficulty of a task in the future?

One way to prevent underestimating the difficulty of a task is to always approach it with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Don't assume that something will be easy just because it appears that way. It is also important to gather as much information as possible before starting a task to fully understand its complexity.

5. Can struggling with something that seems simple at first actually be a good thing?

Yes, struggling with something that seems simple at first can actually be beneficial. It allows us to develop problem-solving skills and pushes us to think outside the box. It also helps us to learn from our mistakes and improve our understanding of the subject. As the saying goes, "struggle leads to growth."