Determining Equations with Squared Roots: Learn from O, P, and Q | Expert Help"

• Thread starter sissi169
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the equation whose roots are o2, p2, and q2 is x3- (p2+ q2+ o2)x2- (o2p2+ o2q2+ p2q2)x- o2p2q2= 0.
sissi169
if o,p,q are roots of the equation ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0, determine the equation whose roots are o^2,p^2 and q^2

who can help me solve it? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This is missplaced.

Please study the rules of this forum before posting.

Thread moved to Homework Help, Precalc Math.

Unless I am missing some completely obvious substitution (and I may be), this question is solvable, but not trivial to solve or explain. I'm assuming you want a new function that only has o2, p2, and q2 as roots; thus it will be cubic (barring imaginary roots). Only the constants a, b, c, and d will be different, and we want to write the new constants in terms of a, b, c, and d.

What you will need to do is to realize that [itex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex] and [itex]x^3+(b/a)x^2+(c/a)x + (d/a)[/itex] have the same roots, because the second one is just the first one divided by [itex]a \neq 0[/itex]. The right hand side is still 0, so the solutions aren't changed.

Now, we know we can factor and get

[tex]x^3 + \frac{b}{a}x^2 + \frac{c}{a}x + \frac{d}{a} = (x-o)(x-p)(x-q)[/tex]

Multiply out and find b/a, c/a, and d/a in terms of o, p, and q. Then, suppose that the new cubic equation we want, with roots o2, p2, and q2 is

[tex]x^3 + ex^2 + fx + g = (x-o^2)(x-p^2)(x-q^2)[/tex]

Find e, f, and g in terms of o2, p2, and q2. Try to relate it to b/a, c/a, and d/a.

That last part takes some thought, but give it a try and post back if you're still stuck after trying awhile.

Last edited:
Usually in Further math, if we have an equation,[itex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0[/itex] whose roots are [itex]\alpha, \beta, \gamma[/itex] and we want to find an equation whose roots are [itex]\alpha^2,\beta^2, \gamma^2[/itex]. A substitution such as [itex]y=x^2[/itex] gives you it directly.

Except what happens if the roots are negative? That's the problem I had with substituting y = x2. You will end up with a new equation, but the square root is always positive, so you may not come up with the same solutions. Maybe I am getting myself confused; your idea seems the more reasonable answer.

sub [itex]x=\sqrt{y}[/itex] into the equation and simplify. It doesn't matter whether or not the roots are -ve or +ve.

Suppose f(x) = (x + 1)3. The triple root is -1. If we substitute [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] we find [itex]f(y) = (\sqrt{y} + 1)^3[/itex] which doesn't have any real roots. Of course, this is only because we define the square root as positive, but I think that is a real concern.

[itex]f(x)=(x+1)^3[/itex] has root [itex]\alpha (=-1)[/itex] for his equation, there are 3 not one.

If a polynomial, with leading coefficient a, has roots o, p, q, then it can be written as a(x-p)(x-q)(x-o)= ax3-a(p+q+o)x2+a (op+ oq+ pq)x- aopq= 0

Similarly, the equation whose roots are p2, q2, and o2 must be of the form x3- (p2+ q2+ o2)x2- (o2p2+ o2q2+ p2q2)x- o2p2q2= 0.

You know -aopq= d so opq= d/a and o2p2q2= d2/a2. That's the constant term of the equation you are seeking. In fact if you multiply out (o+ p+ q)2 that will equal b2/a2, that should give you most of what you want.

1. What are roots in the context of science?

Roots are the underground structures of a plant that anchor it to the ground and absorb water and nutrients from the soil.

2. Why are roots important for plants?

Roots play a crucial role in a plant's survival by providing support, absorbing water and nutrients, and storing energy. They also help prevent soil erosion and can improve soil health.

3. How do roots grow and develop?

Roots grow in response to various environmental factors, such as gravity, light, and moisture. They begin as a small structure called a radicle and continue to elongate and branch out as the plant grows.

4. Can roots be damaged or affected by external factors?

Yes, roots can be damaged by factors such as drought, flooding, soil compaction, and nutrient deficiencies. These can result in stunted growth, reduced nutrient absorption, and even death of the plant.

5. Are there different types of roots?

Yes, there are various types of roots, including taproots, fibrous roots, adventitious roots, and aerial roots. Each type has its own unique characteristics and functions.