Is Net Internal Torque Really Zero in All Cases?

• Thread starter tukms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, there is a confusion about the conclusion in the textbook regarding the net internal torque being equal to zero, similar to Newton's third law. The definition of torque is ${\rm{r \times F}}$ and there may be a case where ${\rm{F}}_{{\rm{21}}} {\rm{ = - F}}_{{\rm{12}}} $ but ${\rm{r}}_{21} {\rm{F}}_{{\rm{21}}} \ne {\rm{r}}_{12} {\rm{ - F}}_{{\rm{12}}} $. The reason for this is that torque of internal forces is not accounted for because the net resultant of the radius
tukms
I have a confusion of a conclusion in the textbook ( I posted it in the attach file )

Net internal torque equals zero ( similarly to conclusion in the Newton’s third law ) but I myself reckon that torque is defined as
${\rm{r \times F}}$
And maybe there occurs the case below :
${\rm{F}}_{{\rm{21}}} {\rm{ = - F}}_{{\rm{12}}} $
But
${\rm{r}}_{21} {\rm{F}}_{{\rm{21}}} \ne {\rm{r}}_{12} {\rm{ - F}}_{{\rm{12}}} $

Could someone help me analyze this situation , I think that the conclusion in textbook is true but it is still fuzzy for me
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish your code made more sense.
Torque of internal forces is not accounted because the net resultant of the radius vectors is along the line of action of the force.
Considering two particles 1 and 2 on the rigid body. Let their position vectors be r1 an r2.Let no external torque act for simplification.
Then Γnet = r1 × F12 + r2 × F21
You know F12=-F21 by Newton's Third Law.
Hence Γnet =(r1-r2) × F12
r1-r2 will be along the line joining the two particles and this is also the line of action of the force b/w the two particles[F12]. Since angle is 0 there is no torque.
I hope this is useful.

1. What is torque and how is it measured?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb).

2. How does torque affect the motion of an object?

Torque causes an object to rotate around an axis. The magnitude and direction of the torque determine the speed and direction of the object's rotation.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque produced?

The amount of torque produced depends on the magnitude of the force applied and the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. It also depends on the angle at which the force is applied.

4. Can you give an example of how torque is used in real-life situations?

Torque is commonly used in machines and tools, such as wrenches and car engines, to produce rotational motion. It is also important in sports, such as in throwing a ball or swinging a golf club.

5. How is torque related to work and energy?

Torque is related to work and energy through the concept of rotational work. When a torque is applied to an object, work is done and energy is transferred to the object, causing it to rotate. The amount of work done is equal to the torque multiplied by the angle through which the object rotates.