Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me apply SR correctly

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1
    I made this pic to illustrate my problem.
    paradox.jpg
    A space ship (labeled B) departs from a space station (labeled A) at 80% the speed of light (0.8c). A applies the time dilation principle and calculates that B's clocks are running slower than his.

Some time later a smaller craft (labeled C) detaches from B and travels at 80% the speed of light in the opposite direction. B applies the time dilation principle and calculates that C's clocks are running slower than his.

But this results in an illogical situation. B's clocks are slower than A's and C's clocks are slower than B's but C is stationary in A's reference frame so C's clocks are running at the same rate as A's.

What am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are implicitly assuming the existance of an absolute simultaneity. This no longer holds in relativity. Instead, you must be aware that events that are simultaneous for one observer are not necessarily simultaneous for another. Since the rate at which clocks tick in an inertial frame is based on the notion of simultaneity in that frame, you will get different results as different frames have different definitions of simultaneity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook