1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me : constant velocity.

1. Jul 1, 2008 #1
    Hi guys, I'm reallyyyy stuck on this so I would really appreciate your help, cheers :)

2. Particle P passes through posiion A (12,3) with constant velocity i + 2j m/s. At the same time Particle Q passes through position B (3,-3) with c.v 2.5i + 3j m/s. Find the position vectors of P and Q after time t seconds. Show that they collide. If the point of collision is X, find the time taken for P to travel from A to X. Find the position vector of X.

3. It's just finding the position vector of X that I need help with...please?! :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What have you done so far?
  4. Jul 1, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you found the position vectors (as functions of t) for P and Q to begin with?
  5. Jul 3, 2008 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i and j are the orthogonal unit vectors in the plane:

[tex]\vec {v_P} = 1\hat i + 2\hat j \text{ m/sec}[/tex]

[tex]\vec {v_Q} = 2.5\hat i + 3\hat j \text{ m/sec}[/tex]

Write out the displacement of P from the origin as a function of time: [itex]d_P(x(t), y(t))[/itex] and do the same for Q.

What is the relationship between the displacements (ie the coordinates) of P and Q at the time of a collision?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?