1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me =D

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    A 35.0-g bullet strikes a 4.7-kg stationary piece of lumber and embeds itself in the wood. The piece of lumber and bullet fly off together at 8.0 m/s. What was the original speed of the bullet?
    I don't know where to begin...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2
    This one too pleeasee

A thread holds a 1.5-kg and a 4.50-kg cart together. After the thread is burned, a compressed spring pushes the carts apart, giving the 1.5 kg cart a speed of 27 cm/s to the left. What is the velocity of the 4.5-kg cart?

I would be so grateful if someone could help me..

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Just go through the conservation of linear momentum.

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4
    Hi there. Is conservation of linear momentum something you have studied in class? :smile:

Also: I would start a new thread for each problem, else things get confusing/messy.

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5
    Yes, im in the ib program but i was absent for that lesson..
    ha thanks for the heads up, i just started this
    Andd thank you both for the help

7. Apr 29, 2009 #6

Okay, well paraphrasing Conservation of momentum says that if no external forces act on a system (which is true in this case), then the total linear momentum is conserved.

That is, [itex]\sum mv_{initial}=\sum mv_{final}[/itex]

In this case,

[tex]M_{bullet}V_{bullet}+M_{block}V_{block}=M_{(block+bullet)}V'_{(block+bullet)}[/tex]

where I used the ' symbol to indicate velocity after the collision

And Yes, they are both conservation of momentum.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook