Please help me decide between colleges

• Schools
  • Thread starter nyr
  • Start date
nyr
I've been accepted to UMICH, Rutgers, Penn State, Villanova, and Drexel engineering. I've narrowed down my college choices down to the ones I can afford, Villanova and Rutgers. I'm visiting both next week. Both will also cost the same. I plan on majoring in mechanical/aerospace engineering.

Villanova is much smaller and is ranked #10 in engineering (where doctorate is not offered.)
But at the same time I'd imagine Rutgers would have better research opportunities since it is a much larger school.

I also would like to perhaps get a masters degree after. Both offer a 5 year bs/ms program. However, if I wanted to pursue a masters at a different school it might be difficult getting in from Rutgers because I heard its harder to get A's there.

Overall which would you say has a better engineering program? Are there any other positives/negatives about attending either? Would you recommend one over the other?

Answers and Replies

Visit both and then decide. For all you know, you may not like the weather at Rutgers and choose Villanova. I forgot which hedge fund manager chose UChicago over Standford because of the weather. True story bro.

nyr
Villanova is an hour and a half west of Rutgers. Weather should not be that much different...

Haha. I guess my main point wasn't clear. Visit both schools and decide from the visits where you feel you fit in better. We are talking about a place you will possibly spend the next 5 years of your life. Don't just close your eyes and hope someone chooses the good one for you.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Haha. I guess my main point wasn't clear. Visit both schools and decide from the visits where you feel you fit in better. We are talking about a place you will possibly spend the next 5 years of your life. Don't just close your eyes and hope someone chooses the good one for you.

I tend to agree. It sounds like the schools are both capable of offering what the OP is looking for, at about the same price.

There are certain "cultural" things about a place that can really make a big difference in your overall well-being. Things like how friendly people are, or how easily the faculty mix in with the students. I don't want to sound like I'm being too touch-feely, but those intangibles really can make a big difference. A happy student is more likely to be a successful student.