Which Second Major Complements a BS in Pure Math Best for Job Prospects?

• Programs
  • Thread starter spospo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the person is pursuing a BS in pure math and is aware of the difficulty in finding a job with that degree. They are considering a second major to increase job prospects and eventually attend grad school. Options for a second major include statistics and computational science, but they are still unsure of which to choose. They have received conflicting advice about the marketability of a pure math degree and are considering their interests and options before making a decision.
spospo
I'm going for my BS in pure math at a state university. However, I know it's pretty difficult to find a job with a pure math degree, so now I'm trying to find a second major that will help me find a job after I graduate. Ultimately, I want to go to grad school, but I know that I have to work a little first so that I can actually afford to further my education. I've narrowed my second major options to statistics, or this new degree program offered at my school called computational science. I'm leaning a bit toward computational science, just because it looks interesting, but I'm still having second thoughts. A little bit of help is appreciated!

Thanks,
S

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on the field you are interested in for Grad school. Math goes hand in hand with physics, and is just as useful.
I am confused do you want a job after you graduate or to go to grad school? If the former, maybe engineering would have been the best choice. If it is grad school i would think Mathematics or Computer science would help. I do not know your exact plans though.

I believe that it's a misconception that it's difficult to find a job with a pure math degree. It's been my impression that a math degree is among the most marketable and versatile degrees around. Certainly with a Master's in math, your options expand even further.

Check out these links. I think they're fairly interesting and relevant.

http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathcareers.html
http://www.math.duke.edu/major/whyMajor.html

If you want to double major because you're interested in other areas of study as well, by all means, go for it (and for what it's worth, Computational Sciences does sound compelling), but I don't think you need to just to stand a chance of getting grad school or employment opportunities. Math can be a difficult enough degree that there's no need to burden yourself unless you truly want to.

1. How do I decide on a second major?

Deciding on a second major can be a difficult decision, but there are a few steps you can take to help make the process easier. First, consider your interests and strengths. What subjects do you enjoy studying? What are you good at? Then, research potential majors and their requirements. You may also want to talk to an academic advisor or career counselor for guidance. Finally, consider how a second major will benefit you in your future career or academic goals.

2. Can I have two majors in different fields?

Yes, it is possible to have two majors in different fields. Many universities offer dual or double majors, which allow students to pursue two majors in different academic disciplines. However, keep in mind that this may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete.

3. Will a second major make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a second major can make you more competitive in the job market, as it shows that you have a diverse range of skills and knowledge. However, it is important to choose a second major that complements your first major and aligns with your career goals.

4. Can I change my second major later on?

Yes, it is possible to change your second major later on. However, this may require additional coursework and may delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your options and make a decision that aligns with your academic and career goals.

5. Are there any drawbacks to having a second major?

Having a second major may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete your degree. This can be challenging and may require good time management skills. Additionally, some majors may have stricter course requirements, which may limit your flexibility in choosing classes. It is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding on a second major.