1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLEASE HELP ME. Electric Field Question

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Please help me with the following question:

An electron (mass m = 9.11 X 10^-31 kg) is accelerated in the uniform field E (E = 1.85 X 10^4 N/C) between two parallel charged plates. The separation of the plates is 1.20cm. The electron is accelerated from rest near the negative plate and passes through a tiny hole in the positive plate. (a) With what speed does it leave the hole? (b) Show that the gravitational force can be ignored.

I would also REALLY appreciate it if someone could direct me to a site that teaches this particular part of physics. I usually check things like this that I dont understand on www.physicsclassroom.com, but they dont teach this particular area.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Calculate the potential difference between the two plates and recognize that energy is conserved! :-)

4. Jan 19, 2005 #3
  5. Jan 19, 2005 #4
    Which formula do I use for this?

6. Jan 19, 2005 #5
    The equation is: V = ED

7. Jan 19, 2005 #6
    After reading around a bit more, I think I figured it out.

This is the answer I got 8,846,517 m/s. Is that even close to right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?