Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me explain this observation

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    In spite of the widespread ball point pen, I still use a fountain pen for calculations.. One day, I ran out of ink while writing (duh..) and opened the cap of my ink bottle to refill my pen. Now, as I opened the cap, a thin film of ink was formed around the mouth of the bottle.. in other words, it was like a partially formed bubble.. Now, because this was ink, I was able to see, rapid, random looking movements on this film/membrane of ink....Imagine the colors you get when oil mixes / floats on water.. now imagine those colors were all blue and imagine them constantly moving, turning, twisting etc..
    what do you think caused these weird movements? I've read that the H bonds of water are in a constant state of flux and that the bonds keep forming and breaking... could this be the cause?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2
    An interesting observation and I suspect it was thin film interfernce,similar to the oil on water pattern you described.The movement could be due to the water draining and evaporating.

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    thanks... I'll check that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook