Does a Planet's Atmosphere Affect an Astronaut's Weight?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an astronaut's weight on different planets, with a focus on whether the planet's atmosphere is relevant. It is determined that in most cases, the atmosphere does not significantly impact the weight calculation, but there may be exceptions in cases such as gas giants. The homework equation for weight is also clarified.
Minou14
1. I have to calculate the weight of an astronaut, whose mass is 72 Kg on the surface of different planets, but in the table telling me the Acceleration due to gravity (or Gravitational Field Strength) it there is also a column about whether the planet has an atmosphere. Is that relevant?

2. Homework Equations - Weight (N) = Mass (Kg) X Acceleration (M/s2)

3. I need to know if the atmosphere thing is relevant? I am ignoring it so far!

Thank You so Much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry i meant the equation was W = M x G.F.S (N/kg) thank you!

Hi Minou14, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Whether or not the planet has an atmosphere should not be relevant for your calculations.

Exceptions would be where the planet's atmosphere is so dense that it provides significant buoyancy for the astronaut. Maybe at the bottom of the atmosphere of a gas giant you'd want to add that contribution to the weight experienced.

If in doubt, post your list of planets.

P.S. You might want to choose a more descriptive title for your next thread; "Please Help Me figure out my homework!" doesn't supply any information about the content or subject matter. It pays to advertise :smile:

Thank you so much! That is really help full and yes sorry about the title - I was in a rush! :)

Dear student,

I would like to advise you that the presence of an atmosphere on a planet can indeed affect the weight of an astronaut on its surface. This is because the gravitational field strength, which is represented by the acceleration due to gravity, can be influenced by the density and composition of the atmosphere.

For example, on a planet with a thick atmosphere, the gravitational field strength may be higher due to the added mass of the atmosphere. This would result in a higher weight for the astronaut compared to a planet with a thinner atmosphere.

Therefore, it is important to take into consideration the atmosphere of a planet when calculating the weight of an astronaut on its surface. I suggest referring to a reliable source for information on the atmosphere of each planet in order to accurately calculate the weight.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work on your homework!

What is the best way to approach my homework?

The best way to approach your homework is to start by breaking it down into smaller, manageable tasks. Make a list of everything that needs to be done and prioritize the most important tasks first. Also, make sure to schedule breaks and set a realistic timeline for completing each task.

How can I stay motivated while doing my homework?

One way to stay motivated while doing your homework is to set specific goals for yourself. These goals can be as simple as completing a certain number of tasks or studying for a set amount of time. Additionally, try to eliminate distractions and find a comfortable, well-lit study space.

What should I do if I don't understand my homework?

If you are struggling to understand your homework, don't hesitate to ask for help. This could include reaching out to a classmate, scheduling a meeting with your teacher, or using online resources such as tutoring services or educational videos. It's important to address any confusion early on to prevent falling behind.

How can I manage my time effectively while doing my homework?

One way to manage your time effectively is to create a schedule or use a planner to keep track of your tasks and deadlines. It's also helpful to prioritize your tasks and focus on one task at a time, rather than multitasking. Additionally, make sure to take breaks to avoid burnout.

What are some strategies for understanding and retaining information while doing my homework?

Some strategies for understanding and retaining information while doing your homework include taking thorough notes, summarizing key points, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections. It can also be helpful to take breaks and review the material periodically to reinforce your understanding.