1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help me find a basic plane equation

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    Q: Find an equation of a plane through the point (3, -3, -2) which is parallel to the plane −2x+1y+4z=−6 in which the coefficient of x is -2.

The website asks you to format the answer equal to zero. My input is -2x+y+4z+23, but it shows wrong. I have checked my answer a couple of times, but am not sure how to approach it differently.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi krtica! Welcome to PF! :smile:

That doesn't go through (3, -3, -2). :wink:

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thanks!

Isn't the equation for a plane a(x-xi)+b(y-yi)+c(z-zi)=0? Where a,b,c are the vector components?

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but if you have actual numbers, it's a lot easier to write it as ax + by + cz = …, and just fill in the number so that it fits the given point. :wink:

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5
    By filling in the numbers, do you mean substituting the point in x,y,z? I am not quite sure exactly what you mean, my apologies.

7. Jan 20, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, substituting the point in ax + by + cz …

then it's bound to go through that point, isn't it? :wink:

8. Jan 20, 2010 #7
    God! Got it.

Thank you, I really do appreciate your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook