1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help Me! I Am So Terrible At Physics

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Please Help Me! I Am So Terrible At Physics!!

Hi everyone! I am new here and I am asking this question because this year I enrolled in Physics, and my teacher is horrible. On a practice test, we have 3 questions that I just cannot figure out!
    Could you all help me? I don't need answers, I just can't understand the formulas, or which ones to use. If you all could just tell me what formulas, I could piece together the rest!

Thank you!

1) Water flows over a section of Niagra Falls at the rate of 1.2 x 10E6 (to the sixth) kg/s and falls 50.0 m. How much power is generated by the falling water?
    a) 9.50 x 10E6 W
    b) 5.90 x 10E8 W
    c) 1.04 x 10E5 W
    d) 6.40 x 10E4 W

2) A 70.0 kg base runner begins his slide into second base while moving at a speed of 4.0 m/s. The coefficent of friction between his clothes and Earth is .70 . He slides so that his speed is 0 just as he reaches the base. How much mechanical energy is lost?
    a) -8.4 x 10E2 J
    b) -2.3 x 10E3 J
    c) -5.6 x 10E2 J
    d) -9.5 x 10E4 J

3) (Cont. from question 2) How far does he slide?
    a) 1.2 m
    b) 5.1 m
    c) 8.3 m
    d) 3.7 m
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

For the first question, deal with energy first before power... in 1s, how much energy is produced... think gravitational potential energy.

For the second question, what is the formula for kinetic energy?

For the third... what is the force of friction... through what distance does the force of friction act to bring the energy of the runner to 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?